A freelancer, also known as a freelance worker, is someone who is self-employed and is not in a long-term contractual commitment to any one employer. Often working remotely, common freelance jobs are based around the creative sector such as music, writing, editing, photography, web design, graphic arts or computer programming. Freelancers are employed on individual contracts, paid to produce work for clients (rather than being employed by a business).
Beneficially, freelancers usually work in a field that they enjoy and often working from home, freelancing offers more freedom in regard to work hours and work schedule. Some consider finance a downside to freelance work as the money is inconsistent, self-driven (on how much work you agree to take on) and varies widely.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Take a project brief and be able to come up with creative, innovative ideas
- Brainstorming and writing copy
- Communicating with the client during the relationship to ensure demands are being complied (and submitting copy along the way, for client approval and feedback)
- Conduct research for a project you're writing
- Actively seeking new business and implement a successful strategy of work; fax or emailing your information or portfolio of work to prospective clients when you're looking for new business
Skills and qualities desired:
- Experience of writing for a wide variety of media and able to adapt specific angels and tone aimed at the intended audience
- Good understanding of marketing strategy and advertising implementation
- Superb time management
- Ability to prioritize and work to deadlines is crucial
- Thorough and good attention to detail