Automated processes optimize the production of goods and delivery of services through use of machines, control systems and information technologies.
Automation engineers create and develop new procedures that exploit numerical control over automated devices and systems, with the main goal to increase efficiency. Computer-aided technologies and the internet have catalysed automation processes and serve the basis for mathematical and organizational tools used to create complex systems. Thus, in turn the improved design and procedures has resulted in advanced production, decrease in costs and increase in profits in the manufacturing industry.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the design, development and implementation of industrial automation and control systems
- Troubleshoot existing production lines
- Design layouts and electrical schematics using specialist software such as AutoCAD
- Responsible for the programming of various brands of Programmable Logic Controller's and control systems
- Responsible for assisting in the integration of new equipment into existing processes (create and developing new procedures) and retrofits of legacy systems
- Oversee project management for process and cost saving improvements utilizing Lean and Six Sigma methodologies; this would include project scoping, timelines, manpower requirements
- Act in a leadership role for cross functional teams, guiding validation management, component design and modification, control of design documentation, manufacturing process evaluation, product cost and capital management
Skills and qualities desired:
- Ability to organize and prioritize work load and to meet deadlines
- Ability to understand and execute instructions well
- Excellent verbal, written and analytical skills