The purpose of copywriting is to produce informative and persuasive text advertising or marketing a product, business, person, opinion or idea (subscribing to a specific viewpoint).
Often creative people, the job of a copywriter is to use text to being concepts 'to life' in an innovative way. Companies and organisations employ copywriters to help create taglines, jingles, lyrics, webpage content for the internet, online adverts, emails, e-letters, social media text and other internet content; scripts for broadcast, press releases, brochures, and other marketing collateral.
A copywriter will often follow the brief of a client and must therefore regularly lipase with the client. It is the copywriters job to research around initial ideas and briefs, to come up with a creative concept and text, write the copy and carry out proof reading. The client is contacted throughout this process, where the copywriter will pitch and get approval for ideas and text.
Because of the remote nature of the job, many copywriters work on a freelance basis and can work from home or freelance at different organisations.
Responsibilities & Skills
- Brainstorming and creating ideas that fit a brief (presenting these and making amendments as necessary)
- Creating innovative and new ideas that are projected within original, fluent, readable content for advertising, websites or marketing material
- Proofreading copy to ensure the copy is grammatically and factually accurate
Skills and qualities desired
- Superb command of the English language, including excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Flexibility to write in varying styles and adapt different angles and tones to suit the intended audience
- Being able to work to tight deadlines and under pressure