An online marketing team, otherwise known as web or internet marketing, webvertising, or e-marketing, within an organisation plays a vital role in promoting and increasing awareness of the company's products or services using the internet as a platform. This may be done directly on WebPages, via wireless media or via email. As technology advances, commerce has moved more towards becoming internet-based, thus working in online marketing is becoming increasingly more valuable for organisations. Digital customer data and electronic customer relationship management (ECRM) systems are also often grouped together under internet marketing.
Online marketing draws upon creating creative and innovative marketing strategies which strengthen the market position of a product using online media, and technical aspects of the Internet, including design, development, advertising and sales.
The salary for a role in this industry varies hugely but may fall between £17,000 and £40,000.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that the company's website is user-friendly and that user-traffic is increasing
- Search engine marketing (SEM) and search engine optimization (SEO); ensuring that the website appears in search engine results and encourage interaction with customers online
- Creating and distributing a regular e-newsletter
- Implementing and maintaining effective banner ads on specific sites
- Utilizing social media as a means to promote products/services and interact with customers
- Web 2.0 strategies
Skills and qualities desired:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong IT skills and knowledge with Microsoft Office programs