Rebellion Oxford is currently looking for an experienced Network Programmer to work on multiple AAA titles currently in development for all platforms. This role includes developing and maintaining in-game networking, dedicated game servers and cloud-based backend services such as matchmaking, analytics and telemetry.
Want to know more? You can watch our video here;
Inside the Rebellion coding team.
A minimum of 2 years’ experience in embedded C/C++, ideally in the games industry. Experience of using Playstation Network (PSN), Xbox LIVE, Steamworks and/or similar APIs for matchmaking, stats and leaderboards in online multiplayer games preferred. Experience of TCP and UDP socket programming and/or RESTful services in production code is preferred. Experience with cloud services such as AWS or Azure would be an advantage but is not required.
A first class or 2:1 degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other science-related subject would be preferred. Candidates with other degrees and those without higher academic qualifications are still encouraged to apply if they meet all of the experience criteria above.
- Write and develop network code for next generation consoles, desktop and mobile platforms
- Integrate with APIs such as Playstation Network, Xbox LIVE and Steamworks
- Develop and maintain cloud services
- Maintain existing code for multiplayer and online functionality
- General multiplayer game programming and testing
- General engine programming
- Strong C/C++ skills
- Knowledge of Playstation Network, Xbox LIVE and/or Steamworks APIs
- TCP and UDP socket programming
- Experience using or developing RESTful APIs
- Enthusiasm for games
- Knowledge of network configuration (e.g. firewalls and routing tables) would be an advantage
- Experience with AWS, Azure and/or the ELK stack would also be an advantage
- Holidays: 25 days paid annual leave plus all bank holidays (33 days total)
- Relocation: reasonable pre-agreed costs eg belongings, transport, non-refundable agency fees, etc
- Pension: contributory pension scheme where company matches 4%, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Cycle Scheme: spread bike payments over 12 months, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Eye Test Vouchers: free eye tests and additional discounts on glasses/contact lenses
- Introduction bonus: £2k for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Loans: Up to £1k interest free personal loans
- Free Stuff: fresh fruit, Rebellion Steam titles, GDC Vault access, digital 2000AD/Solaris/Abaddon/Ravenstone copies, game and film library
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000AD merchandise, discounted membership at The Athlete Centre gym 200 metres from Oxford studio
- Culture: friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance
- Social: annual company events (Summer BBQ & Christmas Party), various ad-hoc events and out-of-hours social groups such as photography, board games, football, baking, etc
- Oxford Location: local pub, M&S and Waitrose, 5 minute walk to train station and 15 minute walk to city centre
- Hours: flexible start and finish times (core hours 10am-4pm with 7.5 working hours overall plus 1 hour for lunch