Working here is about being there for our customers; we’re available should the worst happen and we work together to enable social and financial equality across the UK. But it’s also about you –how you develop and what you can achieve. We’ll help your talent thrive in an environment where you’ll be supported to work flexibly and autonomously, sharing in our success and rewarded for a great performance with a generous benefits package.
At Legal & General Insurance we look after our customers throughout life, death and everything in between so that you know that everything that’s important to you is protected. With over 180 years’ experience in providing Insurance policies, our customers trust us to be there and to do the right thing.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
LGI are undergoing a multi-year transformation in business process, working practices, people, IT and technology. It is our aspiration to build on our existing reputation as a market leading Insurance company, to become a ‘Tech company’ with Insurance expertise and is part of a wider move across all of the L&G group to bring in talent across multiple areas of expertise.
This is where the new Senior Developers will be needed!
This role is responsible for the analysis, technical design, development, implementation and documentation of IT services for Legal and General Insurance’s systems in the Retail Protection and Group Protection areas of LGI’s business. Working within the LGI IT team in a collaborative environment and adhering to the latest agile methodologies, you will work closely with product owners, business stakeholders technical architects, business analysts, test teams, strategic software providers and infrastructure services providers, to deliver high quality, appropriate, reliable solutions to our business and their customers while governing and implementing coding standards.
- Full Agile delivery using Scrum & soon SAFe/DevOps practices with LGI IT
- Modern working practices and working spaces – Work remotely, Networking tools to enable this
- 3 Phased Cloud (Azure) transition:
- Phase 1 Move key strategic trading platforms to the cloud asap.
- Phase 2 – Create new cloud hosted API layer to reduce dependence on Mainframe and iSeries hosted applications.
- Phase 3 -Deconstruct Monolith Mid- Tier Websphere Java Applications into Cloud ready Micro services architecture, then move to cloud.
- Design, develop, maintain, upgrade, document and deploy software components to deliver high quality solutions to our business and their customers that: are fit for purpose, align with IT strategy, integrate with the existing IT architecture and technology, contribute to continuous improvement of our IT systems
- As a Senior Developer you will be expected to lead, mentor, share knowledge and offer technical guidance to less experienced members of the LGI / TCS development team and take responsibility for the technical delivery of any assigned developers
- Support all stages of the Software development and deployment lifecycle to ensure smooth delivery including design, build, testing, deployment and warranty
- Assist wherever required with analysis and resolutions of issues in the production environment
- Some flexibility for travel between our Hove and Redhill offices will be needed for this role
- Collaborate with Enterprise , Technical and Solutions Architects, Developers, Product Owners, Scrum masters and other stakeholders on a continual basis throughout the software development lifecycle to ensure high quality, solutions are designed, built and delivered that adhere to L&G Architectural principles and processes
- As a Senior Developer you will be expected to contribute to SAST and DAST initiatives/strategies
- Liaise closely with Third party software and Infrastructure providers to ensure the quality and suitability of their technical design and solutions including non-functional design and development considerations. Review and challenge coding estimates, challenge code design and collaborate with service provider teams to improve the effectiveness and timeliness of their deliveries
- Ensure Technical documentation of code and within code is accurate, knowledge is shared and LGI intellectual property is safeguarded
- As a Senior Developer you will be expected to liaise closely with IT management to conceive, own and maintain LGI coding standards/clean coding techniques and principles, develop quality assurance procedures and drive regular reviews and analysis to govern IT policies and coding standards
- Ensure security of LGI data and intellectual property is ensured, without exception and drive reviews and quality checks to ensure data security is at the heart of all development that LGI IT undertake
- Work closely with Service management during release cycles and refine system metrics to continuously improve user experience and service performance
- Ensure all solutions have our customer at their core and align with L&G’s commitment to Treating Customers Fairly, without exception
- Technical experience developing E-commerce applications using Java/J2EE and comfortable developing web services/microservices architecture. Additional knowledge of the following is beneficial:
- Spring framework (Spring Boot, MVC, Dependency Injection, Data Access)
- IBM Websphere Application Server / Tomcat
- Web Services (HTTP, ReST, JSON, XML)
- Test-Driven / Behaviour-Driven Development methods and frameworks
- CI / CT / DevOps Tools and Technologies
- Full understanding of: applicable database technologies (DB2, Oracle, SQL Server), performance/clustering/scalability concerns, Data Warehousing and reporting (e.g. Business Objects, Ab-initio, SAS) and Enterprise content management products.
- Application integration with multiple platforms and data sources (Mainframe, mid-range, SOA, ESB technologies)
- Knowledge of repositories, code controls and development tools such as JIRA, Confluence and similar tools
- Application and Web Service security, Identity Management and Protocols (e.g. OWASP, WS-Security, SAML, OAuth2, OpenID Connect)
- IT infrastructure (SAN technologies, basic networking, Windows, Linux, zOS, Cloud architectures)
- Knowledge of or have worked with Cloud technologies. Azure preferred
- Knowledge of, or experience using Oracle PL/SQL, JSPX, JasperReports, Drools is an additional benefit but is not a requirement
- Working with: Agile development methodology, SAFe, SCRUM, Waterfall Software development lifecycle, ITIL, TOGAF, PRINCE2
- Understanding of established and emerging technologies and their contribution to delivering successful business outcomes.
- Understanding of the Business Change cycle from inception to implementation, including the organisation of Change initiatives, e.g. Sponsors and Steering Committees
- Working in a professional IT environment (Ideally Insurance or financial services sector)
Whatever your role, Legal & General rewards ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after things that matter to you.
Our employees have a wide range of benefits including:
• A generous pension scheme
• Life assurance
• 30 holiday days
• 12% car allowance
• Private medical insurance
• Performance related bonuses
• A variety of share schemes
• Discounts on high street and our own great products
Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.