Vacancy: Business Continuity Manager
Location: Royston or Farringdon (UK)
A little about us
Johnson Matthey is the global leader in sustainable technologies, applying our cutting edge science to create solutions with our customers that make a real difference to the world around us. Our science and research helps to reduce pollution, relieve pain, restore hearing and boost crops.
Behind all of this, we’re an international business made up of many extraordinary parts. We have been in business for over 200 years. From a single office in London in 1817, we've built a global presence with significant operations in more than 30 countries. We support our customers' needs from 43 major manufacturing sites all around the globe, providing consistency and quality wherever they are.
Johnson Matthey employees own what they do. We take the initiative, seek clarity and demand high standards from ourselves and our colleagues. We encourage collaboration inside JM and out, sharing and embracing diverse viewpoints and tackle problems together.
Our focus is to protect people and the planet. We do the right thing, for people and for the world. We do what we say we’ll do, expect the same of each other and speak up when there’s a problem. We place importance on relationships internally and externally, treating others with respect and care.
Reporting directly to the Global Head of Security and Business Continuity, this position will lead and support Johnson Matthey (JM) to ensure the continuity of operations and capability to respond to and recover from disruptive events. This position is a core component of good governance and integral to ensuring JM achieve operational and commercial objectives and compliance with contractual, legislative and regulatory obligations. This position has global responsibilities and the post-holder must be prepared to travel and work for undefined periods of time, including at short notice and to high risk operating environments.
- Leads Group Business Continuity and Crisis Management, ensuring alignment with business objectives and compliance with applicable regulation
- Supports the development of the strategy, ensuring policy implementation through effective cross-functional working including with Group EHS, Legal Counsel, Global Procurement, HR, Group Insurance, Communications, JM IT and CAR
- Actively contributes to Group profits and organisational growth by managing program related risks and reducing avoidable loss, assists in enabling business to operate in a range of environments
- Maintains a high level of risk and threat awareness within territories Group currently operates or where it may seek to influence or operate in the future, advises and directs the implementation of appropriate strategies to prevent or reduce harm and to protect the continuity of operations
- Acts as a key advisor and subject matter expert to Group and Divisional management including GMC and Sector Leadership Teams, ensures close liaison with business units and country level management including Site Leaders
- Interprets information received from various sources, including changes in related regulation, to protect and serve the interests of Group, provides advice and direction for appropriate actions including mitigation strategies
- Provides awareness, education and training to Group, sector and site leadership Teams to develop and maintain competencies as they relate to business continuity and crisis management, including oversight of specialist security trainin and medical assistance providers
- Provides support to Board and GMC members and their families, advises on specialist risk arrangements
- Develops and implements evidence-based standards and robust performance management criteria which result in accurate service level reporting, including non-compliance
- Proactively identifies risk, system efficiencies, cost controls and opportunities for program development through the implementation of robust governance arrangements, including (but not limited to) risk-based assurance reviews in accordance with annual and ad-hoc audit schedules
- Builds, leads and supports a global community to drive policy standardisation and a culture of shared learning, including sector and site Business Continuity Chairs
- Chair working groups in support of the Group Business Continuity and Crisis Management agenda, ensures alignment with business objectives through defined Terms of Reference
- Provides documented assurance reporting to senior leadership including GMC, GPCC and Audit Committee
- Provides management support, mentorship and coaching to less experienced or more junior employees, including from an administrative perspective in supporting them to plan, execute and report on related areas of work
- Identifies, develops and manages the expense budget for Group related programs, ensures proportionate and cost-effective solutions in support of agreed business objectives
- Liaises with governments, law enforcement and other agencies to maintain and build professional working relationships to add value to the decision-making process in support of JM operations globally
Are you the ideal candidate?
- Have extensive experience within a complex risk or security management environment
- Be post-graduate qualified with evidence of continued professional development relevant to role
- Have a proven track record in managing international, cross jurisdictional multi Team systems preferably within a complex supply chain, manufacturing or high reliability organisation
- Have in-depth knowledge of applicable regulation, including ‘duty of care’ and ‘duty to disclose’ imperatives
- Have significant program and project management experience
- Have broad knowledge of geo-political risks and threats, and experience of working within complex operating environments including high risk
- Have an understanding of budget management, and experience in 3rd party provider and contract management processes
- Show exceptional communication, diplomacy and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and interact effectively across all levels of the organisation
- Have a proven ability to assess and adapt to rapidly changing situations, retaining sound judgement and decision making, including within stressful environments, based on clear and defensible rationale
- Have well-developed levels of tact, discretion and confidentiality
- Be highly motivated and able to work effectively with little or no supervision
How to apply:
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. A full job description is available on request from UKrecruit@matthey.com. If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online.
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.