For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we'll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are pleased to announce an exciting opportunity for an innovative and highly motivated drug hunter to provide scientific leadership within the Chemistry team at our drug discovery facilities in Cambridge, UK. The required candidate will be an experienced medicinal chemist and integrated project leader who is able to provide scientific and strategic leadership to enable the delivery of high quality medicinal and synthetic chemistry from target validation through to clinical candidate nomination in partnership with our clients. The Research Leader will be instrumental in building and managing high-performing, collaborative, inter-disciplinary teams through effective project leadership and will be involved in shaping and implementing our future departmental strategy. The ideal candidate will be an experienced drug discovery scientist with a keen interest in cutting edge science and a proven track record of working across disciplines to advance compounds towards the clinic. As a positive role model across disciplines, a key attribute will be a demonstrated ability to push boundaries and inspire others.
- To act as a scientific lead within the Chemistry department, contributing to influencing the scientific direction and strategic vision for the department, identifying new areas for growing capabilities and/or to make process efficiency gains and promoting high visibility of our capabilities internally and externally
- To provide independent scientific leadership of multiple project teams by designing and coordinating work plans, actively managing project resources and finances, influencing across disciplines and using strategic decision making and creative problem solving to achieve project goals
- To provide drug discovery expertise, both internally and to clients, challenging thinking and using own initiative to help to influence, define and deliver scientific objectives for self and others
- To identify and implement new technologies and creative approaches that drive the department forward
- To take a leading role in securing new business opportunities, working independently with Business - Development to prepare scientific proposals and present to potential new clients
- To communicate clearly and effectively at a strategic level with key stakeholders, interfacing positively with clients and across disciplines
- Broad drug discovery expertise covering different therapeutic areas and project phases across multiple target classes and gene families
- Strong track record of independent scientific leadership and strategic impact in integrated projects, as evidenced by delivery of multiple project milestones, publications and/or co-inventorship on multiple patent applications
- Experience of successfully leading complex integrated drug discovery teams, including interacting closely across disciplines, planning and managing resources and finances and influencing both within and outside of own project
- An advocate for change with an active interest in new technologies and disruptive approaches, with a drive and passion to innovate and integrate these into common practice
- A dynamic, can-do attitude and a flexible approach to problem solving. Sound scientific judgement which has impacted on the direction and delivery of projects or departmental initiatives
- The ability to write high quality integrated project proposals to challenging deadlines
- The ability to act proactively and make decisions for self and multiple teams
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with the ability to inspire others
- Evidence of external networking for example through conference presentations or active participation with professional bodies
- A strong commitment to personal development to enable future progression within the organisation as a senior scientific ambassador
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 350 patents and 80 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients' clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 14,000 employees within 80 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client's unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2018, revenue increased by 22% to $2.27 billion from $1.86 billion in 2017.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2018.