Job Title: Care Assistant
Responsible to: Senior Care Assistant / Floor Manager/Nurse in Charge
Accountable to: Home Manager
Purpose of the Role:
To ensure that service users’ physical, personal, psychological, spiritual and cultural needs are met, whilst promoting personal and physical independence and choice.
To assist in the direct care of all aspects of the service users’ assessed needs, which may include;
- Helping with the admission of new service users, including helping them to settle in, introducing them to other people and listing of their property and clothing.
- Assisting people in washing, bathing, dressing and undressing.
- Assisting people with their toileting needs, including continence promotion.
- Helping in the serving of meals and drinks, assisting people who are unable to feed themselves and ensuring that each person receives the meal or diet that he/she has requested and is suitable for his/her needs.
- Helping with mobility difficulties, which will include use of equipment, once trained.
- Supporting people with any communication difficulties including use of hearing aids and glasses.
- Participating in basic nursing care under the supervision of trained nurses/district nurses e.g. bathing in bed, pressure area, mouth care, and eye care.
- Assisting with mobility, including use of mobility aids e.g. hoists and stand aids, where appropriate.
- Answering emergency bells, the door and the telephone, greeting visitors.
- Reading care files to be aware of individual needs and writing reports in case notes, as required.
- Completing other records including fluid, nutrition, personal hygiene and repositioning charts.
- Taking part in staff and residents’ /relatives meetings.
- Changing beds, tidying bedrooms and wardrobes and emptying commodes.
- Light cleaning duties, as necessary.
- Assisting in monitoring service users’ weight.
- Assisting in providing activities and stimulation within the care home.
- Assisting and attending when outings are arranged.
- Undertaking the role of key worker to a number of service users.
- Supporting new staff, which may include them shadowing you whilst you show them how a job needs to be done correctly.
- Welcoming all visitors professionally and warmly.
- Answering the telephone, taking clear written messages and passing to the correct person in a timely way.
- Undertaking any other duties as required, in order to keeping the care home
running smoothly, as delegated by senior staff or Home Manager.
- Ensuring the delivery of quality care at all times by actively listening, observing and continually assessing each person’s needs, wishes and preferences.
- Passing on relevant information about the service users to senior staff, in order that appropriate care is given, paying particular attention to any changes observed in service users’ physical or psychological condition.
- Providing information to senior staff so that the individual plan of care may be regularly reviewed and updated.
- Reporting immediately to the senior person in charge, any accident or untoward incident,
that may occur to a service user, a member of staff or visitor.
- Promoting independence of all service users to the ability they are capable of, taking into account their needs and wishes.
- Working as a team player and demonstrating loyalty, flexibility and commitment and a desire to want to make a difference in people’s lives.
- Maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Helping to maintain a safe environment for service users, staff and visitors, throughawareness of health and safety policies and by attending training, as required.
- Maintaining service users’ privacy and dignity at all times and speaking with them in a respectful way.
- Protecting service users’ human rights.
- Recognising personal and legal responsibility in safeguarding service users. Understanding what constitutes abuse, recognising and reporting abuse immediately to a senior person.
- Not providing or accepting a standard of care or behaviour below that expected by the company and reporting to a senior person if a colleague’s work practices has fallen below this, including use of the whistleblowing procedures, if necessary.
As requested by the manager, undertake any other reasonable task, which is commensurate with the job, and within your competence.
Job Type: Full-time