Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Engineer to join our Bridges Team in Basingstoke. You will be pivotal in driving the quality and timeliness of the service we provide and will use your knowledge and skills to deliver the right quality to time and budget. You will use those attributes to mentor and support more-junior team members.
A typical week would include:
* Inspection and assessment of bridges, and other civil structures;
* Design of strengthening and repair schemes;
* Use of UK and international design and assessment codes and standards;
* Preparation of technical documents, reports, feasibility studies, and health and safety risk assessments;
* Coordination of the production of drawings and supervising technicians;
* General civil and structural engineering support to other teams
The Bridges team is busy with inspection and assessment work on the Civils Assessment Framework Agreement (CAFA) in the Network Rail Western, Wessex and Sussex Routes which accounts for 50% of the work within the office. In addition to this, the Bridges team is busy with highway bridge engineering work for a variety of clients, including local authorities, contractors, private developers and other public-sector clients. Current work includes bridge design, inspection, assessment and feasibility studies.
The position is predominantly office based but travel and site work will be required as part of the team to inspect bridges on the railway and highway as well as occasionally to attend meetings.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
It is anticipated that you will be a Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer. It is expected that this experience will include the following:
* Experience of assessment of steel, reinforced and prestressed concrete bridge structures particularly using Network Rail codes;
* Proven ability in leading bridge inspections;
* Practical knowledge and experience of project management of bridge projects;
* Experience of grillage, space frame and finite element analysis software packages such as LUSAS, Superstress and SAM
* Good communication, client handling and interpersonal skills are essential, plus a willingness to adapt to new challenges and to actively participate in the development of the bridges team.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.