Here at wilko our Packaging team are looking for an Assistant Graphic Designer to join them based at our head office in Worksop.
At wilko we exist to free up hard working families to be the best they can be and we’ve recently launched a bold and ambitious new business strategy to see us face into and thrive within the challenging and continually changing retail industry. As a family-run business we have a unique culture and a refreshingly different way of working.
As our Assistant Graphic Designer you'll be responsible for the technical creation of new and existing designs (creative) and artworks for commercial packaging across the range of Wilko Branded products. You'll design and create the artworks for all consumer packaging i.e. primary and secondary packs, using their expertise and knowledge of manufacturing processes to ensure artworks are suitable for packaging production. With your extensive knowledge of packaging materials and legislation you'll support the delivery of the packaging strategy and implement consistently in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Here are just some of the things you’ll be involved in
- Generating designs aligned with consumer insights and trends.
- Delivering against innovative and functional packaging formats across the breadth of Wilko products.
- Translating macro trends in to micro packaging trends working coherently with the Product & Packaging Design trends.
- Creation of packaging artwork for production.
- Creating brand consistency and delivering technical design guidelines across all product groups.
- Bring standardisation to the packaging formats, the creative, and marketing messages that the packaging provides to the customer.
- Supporting the Packaging Manager with bringing the ownership of artwork management and the assets, along with cutter guides in house.
- Ensuring accurate, consistent and timely completion of artwork, effectively using industry standard software, tools and print techniques.
What we need from you
We need someone who has at least 5 years experience in a packaging design discipline e.g. Design/Packaging Technology/Artwork and is fluent in full Adobe Suite. We need this along with:
- Experience in the creation of artworks and new design formats.
- Ability to generate ideas and concepts.
- Track record of using knowledge and experience to troubleshoot and resolve issues.
- Track record of managing & delivering to time and cost.
- Managing large volumes of skus.
- Creative approach to designing concepts and managing the handwriting style that effectively communicates the USP of the product to the end user, whilst adhering to the brand guidelines.
- Creative and technical ability to take graphics, illustrations and photography through to artwork specification that can be applied to cutter guides to send to manufacture. Ensuring the legal and technical information is compliant.
- Understanding of the material and substrates and how to utilise these to value engineer packaging formats.
- Understand the cost of packaging print production ensures it meets a cost price.
- Extensive knowledge of printing production ink standards, consistency of output, colour proofing tolerances.
- Ability to present packaging concepts to cross functional stakeholder and gain approval.
- Ability to manage and create filing system to bring asset management of creative artwork files in house
At wilko our team members are at the heart of everything we do and we want to reward them for their hard work, not only through our competitive salaries but also through the benefits that we offer. With this role you’ll get:
Be Better Everyday Rewards scheme
33 days holiday entitlement (inc Bank Holidays) rising to 38 days after 5 years service
Team member and family discount of 20% in store and online
Wilko family holiday homes
Wilko WOW flexible benefits – such as great discounts on shopping, days out, holidays, health and fitness and money-saving schemes to cut the costs of childcare