As a registered Nurse you will have a good working knowledge of the CQC standards and be person centred in your approach to care. You will be engaging with residents throughout your shift, so it is important you have the skills to understand the needs of older people.
- Perform clinical nursing procedures and supervise and participate in the general nursing care programme.
- Ensure nursing orders are properly understood and carried out and explain changes to other staff.
- Prepare patients and equipment for medical treatements and assist doctors as required.
- Receive new residents and care for them as instructed.
- Assist in the preparation of residents for transfer or discharge.
- Deploy staff to ensure maximum observation of residents.
- Observe and report the condition of residents and complete daily records.
- Administer drugs and conduct/attend medicine rounds, ensuring correct drug administration procedures are observed in detail.
- Assist care staff to check and list residents’ property and valuables and arrange safe storage in accordance with company policy.
- Receive instruction from the Matron Manager on general administration and undertake some administrative tasks when competent.
- Coordinate and control nursing staff and their duties, referring to the Matron Manager when necessary. Prepare reports for and take reports the alternating staff.
- Attend to relatives and visitors and make arrangements for them to see the Matron Manager or doctor when requested.
- Introduce new staff to their colleagues and duties.
- Maintain an awareness of fire and security hazards and attend regular training.
- Practise and encourage the correct and economical use of equipment and supplies.
- Agree, carry out and evaluate training programmes appropriate to nursing staff.
- Assist in the planning, implementation and evaluation of training for Care Assistants.
- Complete appraisals for Care Assistants as directed by the Matron Manager.
- We reserve the right to ask you to do any other reasonable tasks as part of your role.
Education and Experience
- A relevant Nursing qualification with valid NMC PIN.
- Specialist nursing skills i.e. tracheostomies, ventilators desirable.
- Genuine interest in caring for older people.
- Good standard of education in literacy and numeracy.
- Knowledge of Microsoft computer systems is desirable.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Strong customer focus
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment at all levels.
It is the responsibility of each individual employee to be aware of good health and safety care within their own workplace and to have regards for any directions concerning health and safety within their place of work.
This job description is not comprehensive and the policy of the Nursing Home is one of development. Amendments may be made to your job description from time to time in relation to our changing needs and your own ability.