Lead Engineer – Electrical Systems
Location – Larbert / Scarborough / Skelmersdale / Guildford
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
More than half of the buses that you see on the roads in the UK are made by Alexander Dennis, with over 3.5 million passengers a day in London alone are making a journey on one of our buses. Globally, there’s over 25,000 people every minute, of every day using our products. That’s a lot of responsibility we have for keeping the world moving.
Do you have any idea of the engineering that goes into bringing these products to market and ensuring reliability over 16-hour duty cycles, up to 15-year lifespans and hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions?
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, build and support a range of market leading buses and coaches. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and as of May 2019, we are now part of the NFI Group, making us the world’s leading independent bus and coach company, with nearly 9,000 colleagues working diligently to revolutionise public transportation.
Engineering at Alexander Dennis takes many forms; however, in simple terms, we design buses and coaches by seamlessly integrating systems and components into our innovative and market-leading vehicles, meeting or exceeding our customers exacting requirements.
We are looking for a Lead Engineer, based from any of our UK locations with an electrical and control systems bias, who can guide a team of our skilled engineers to design, develop and maintain whole vehicle electrical systems.
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- You’ll take great pride and satisfaction in seeing your designs quickly become reality on the roads of iconic towns and cities, delighting our customers time after time across the globe.
- We’re at the forefront of automotive technology and you’ll get to work on all types of vehicle drivelines from diesel to hydrogen fuel cells, to hybrids and full electric vehicles, contributing significantly to the de-carbonisation of the environment.
- Innovation and new product development is at the heart of our success and you’ll get exposure to exciting projects such as autonomous vehicles.
- Career development is not necessarily linear, so whether you want to progress within Engineering or an alternative business function, you’ll have plenty of opportunities available to you. Throughout your time with us you’ll gain exposure to all parts of the business, enhancing your profile and future career opportunities.
- With facilities on three continents, you could consider secondments or future roles in vibrant cities such as Hong Kong and Toronto.
- We’ll gladly support and help you achieve professional registration through institutions such as The IET.
- On top of a competitive package, which includes progressive pay potential and pension, we also operate a half day on Fridays, giving you that much needed work-life-balance.
About the role:
- Reporting to a Principal Engineer, you will be responsible for leading all activities to design, develop, verify, and maintain whole vehicle electrical systems, ensuring compliance in global markets.
- You will use your engineering skills and experience to provide technical expertise and guidance to a team of engineers, ensuring that solutions are technically fit for purpose, reliable, serviceable and comply with appropriate legislation.
- You will develop electrical systems from concept through to sign-off for production, rising to the challenges brought about by constantly evolving technologies, customer needs and new product development within a fast-paced industry.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that customer requirements are clearly defined and agreed upfront; subsequently developing innovative solutions to achieve them through a Systems Engineering approach and our Engineering Product Development process.
- You will plan and organise the deployment of internal and external resource to deliver the electrical and control aspects of your project to milestones and budget.
- To do this effectively you will collaborate with colleagues in Commercial, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Operations and Aftermarket to support the successful introduction of your designs into production and the field.
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will be educated to degree level encompassing Electrical/Electronic Engineering or have equivalent experience in a relevant role.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the automotive industry and in particular; bus, coach, HGV, specialist vehicles or tier-1 suppliers.
- We would also welcome those from mobile plant, rail and rolling stock, aerospace, marine, or other similar electrical and control systems engineering environments.
- You will have strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to guide a multidisciplinary team both on site and remotely.
- You will be a competent user of Electrical and Mechanical CAD, ideally Zuken E3 and Solid Edge respectively.
- Your previous experience will include team leadership, electrical and controlsystems design, integration and verification.
If your skills and experience are matching with this challenging role and you want to join a growing, successful international business, then we would love to hear from you.