Senior Designer Requisition ID :2019-61412 Work Location :GB-London Department / Discipline : Geotechnical Engineering Additional Work Location : GB-Warwickshire-Leamington Spa Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Additional Work Locations
GB-Warwickshire-Leamington Spa | GB-West Midlands-Birmingham | GB-Tyne and Wear-Newcastle upon Tyne | GB-Berkshire-Reading
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Are you looking for your next step to help drive your career forward with the breadth and scale of skills you need to become a market best, delivered by working alongside key market specialists and blue-chip companies? To enable this, you will need to be part of a dynamic and growing organisation with a market-leading pedigree, with the breadth and scale of projects and specialists to challenge and develop you.
Wood Environment and Infrastructure Solutions has a fantastic opportunity for an experienced and motivated, highly skilled and solution-focused Geotechnical Engineer / Engineering Geologist professional to join and contribute to one of the largest and most successful remediation and ground engineering teams in the UK/Europe. We are seeking to grow our world class team to ensure we continue to deliver the high calibre of service and technical excellence both we and our clients expect. We are involved in many key projects of regional and national significance, which we deliver alongside our core UK and global framework projects.
Wood offers a flexible approach to working, in both location and working hours. This position can be based in one of our UK E&IS offices with the candidate expected to work collaboratively with teams across the country. Initially, the successful candidate will work as the Senior Ground Investigation Designer and be based between a major UK infrastructure site in Greater London, and our primary design office in Cheshire.
* Develop initial conceptual site models and liaise civils and earthworks design team to inform requirements for ground investigation. * Peer review ground investigation designs produced by others
* Prepare proposals to deliver client objectives, including developing the scope of site investigations and tender packages and liaising with subcontractors. * Prepare geotechnical design calculations, design drawings and other documents in accordance with project quality control procedures and requirements. * Supervise and manage ground investigation sub-contractors, soil logging, geotechnical soils testing and scheduling. * Share knowledge and supporting the development of less experienced staff. * Collaborate within teams and across offices to ensure consistency of delivery and achieve results by effective communication, sharing of information etc. * Ensure that all work is delivered in line with procedures and processes and to the highest safety, health and environmental standards.
Skills / Qualifications
* Plan, design, supervise and deliver ground investigations, desk studies, and geotechnical engineering or engineering geology projects within a consultancy environment. * Assess and design in areas such as earthworks, site remediation, earth retaining structures, slope stability, ground improvement/treatment, shallow and deep foundation design. * Good working knowledge of core industry specifications (including ICE UK Specification for Ground Investigation and commonly applied British Standards and Eurocodes). * Working knowledge of relevant geotechnical (e.g. slope stability, settlement, deep foundations, finite element modelling), and other (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ARC GIS and Holebase) software, and ability to use as part of design work. * A methodical, detailed and rigorous approach to data review, sifting and cataloguing as part of the development of conceptual site models. * Knowledge of the design and implementation of ground investigation techniques in landfill settings to inform earthworks and large structure design, including:
* Cable percussive and rotary core drilling; * CPT based profiling; * Pressuremeter and seismic testing; * Borehole-based high-pressure dilatometer (HPD) and pressuremeters; * Down hole seismic testing; and * Extensometers and settlement monitoring.
* Strong commitment to health and safety in respect of projects including ground investigation works, especially with regards to mitigation of risks at the design / pre-construction phase of works. * Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with to internal and external clients and stakeholders including regulators. * Ability to innovate and develop in your technical area, and to continually seek to improve performance in all aspects of role. * Ability to take ownership of, and self-manage, designs, workload and project scope, schedule and budget requirements, from initiation to completion. * Flexibility to work across the UK and overseas on occasion for specific projects or longer-term assignments.
* Knowledge of landfill Construction Quality Assurance (CQA). * Knowledge of geo-environmental and hydrogeological ground investigation.
* Relevant technical degree e.g. civil engineering, engineering geology. * A higher degree in geotechnical engineering is desirable. * Chartered status (engineer / geologist) with a recognised institution. * Full UK driving licence.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.