Sage is a global company with a local heart. The market leader for cloud-based accounting, financials, enterprise management, people, and payroll software, we empower the world's business heroes-from single-person startups to large enterprises. Our people are passionate and positive. We inspire our colleagues to serve business builders everywhere and champion their success. As a FTSE 100 company with 14,000 colleagues across 24 countries, we do business the right way, while giving back to our local communities through the Sage Foundation. Be Sage, build on.
To provide structured, pragmatic, risk based legal support (as a legal business partner) to the Procurement Team on a worldwide basis.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
Under the direction of the Senior Procurement Counsel (as appropriate):
• Provide best-in-class end-to-end legal advice in a leadership context to the Procurement Team across the world in respect of transactions in multiple jurisdictions (and often cross border) adopting a collaborative business partnering approach.
• Work collaboratively with the other teams within the Legal function to ensure effective and fully aligned end-to-end country specific and niche legal support for the Procurement Team in a supplier context (e.g. collaborating with the Commercial Legal teams on multi-territorial transactions).
• Co-ordinate internal and external legal support in cross-discipline / jurisdiction scenarios as required.
• Support our internal governance framework by collaborating with Procurement colleagues and end stakeholders to ensure that Sage legal risk tolerances are properly applied through the Procurement process.
• Actively participate (with legal accountability) in all assigned projects and transactions as a core team member, including risk analysis, progress reports, issue identification / resolution and team meetings.
• Assist the Senior Procurement Counsel on strategic and complex projects, such as high value transactions and the management of strategic suppliers.
• Actively assist in the development and effective management of relationships with all parts of Sage so that the Legal function maintains a reputation as an approachable and collaborative professional team delivering high quality advice and support.
• Identify opportunities to develop and drive operational efficiency, through improvements to processes and systems within the Legal and Procurement functions, particularly through the use of technology and automation/empowering colleagues to 'self-serve'.
• Exercise appropriate cost management and control (in particular when managing relationships with external counsel).
• Develop strong working relationship with key stakeholders and wider business colleagues and pro-actively assist with the elimination of inefficiencies.
• Advise, influence and support key stakeholders at all levels across our worldwide operations to ensure close alignment between the Legal function and business areas and identify and progress value creation opportunities.
Skills, know-how and experience:
• Good commercial legal experience and a track record of delivering commercially sound legal advice in a business context.
• Good legal negotiation and commercial contract drafting skills, particularly in relation to purchasing of complex goods and services.
• A good understanding of data privacy, competition law, IP and IT.
• The ability to support supplier disputes in collaboration with Procurement professionals.
• Sound communication and enabling skills.
• Sound analytical skills and ability to identify and manage legal risk.
• The ability to design and deliver legal training to Procurement professionals.
• Good influencing skills at all organisational levels and the ability to work independently producing consistent high-quality outputs.
• An ability to analyse legal and commercial issues and to provide clear explanations of legal matters with solutions-oriented advice.
• Agile mindset and ability to embrace, cope with and manage change at pace.
• Collaborative approach; supports, motivates and develops colleagues.
• Good legal drafting skills with a strong attention to detail.
• Experience of project managing / executing legal projects with limited supervision.
• Knowledge of other relevant legal disciplines (e.g. agency / distribution, media and marketing, commercial disputes) is also highly desirable.
• Experience of working with businesses to solve their commercial challenges in an effective, practical way.
• Experience of working in commerce (particularly within the Technology sector).
Technical / professional qualifications:
• A qualified lawyer with some post qualification experience either within private practice or a commercial environment.
• Fluent English speaker.
Key performance indicators:
• Effective delivery of all required legal accountabilities to a consistently high standard, on time.
• Contribution to success of overall Legal function delivery by identifying and rigorously executing pragmatic solutions.
• Colleagues truly understand and evangelise the added value the Legal function brings to Sage.
• Consistently positive feedback from key legal and business stakeholders.
• Close alignment with the Senior Procurement Counsel and other Legal team members; and seamless legal delivery across the wider Legal function.
• Strong relationships built with wider business colleagues (in particular with the VP Procurement and Procurement Directors); recognised as a 'go to' subject matter expert.
Leadership team of: VP Procurement, Procurement Directors.
Deputy General Counsel, Senior Procurement Counsel, Commercial Legal and all wider legal colleagues.