Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Providing a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional and construction- and program-management. Our 50,000+ employees in 400+ locations around the world serve a broad range of companies and organisations, including industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
During our 125 years in the UK, we have been involved in some of the biggest and most challenging projects, delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to the country’s most critical issues, from access to clean air and safe water, civil and national security and safeguarding mobility.
That’s because Jacobs is much more than just a traditional engineering company.
Ranked No. 1 by Fortune’s 2019 World's Most Admired Companies…
Our Water and Environment Business Unit provides a focus for advising our clients on River Engineering and Flood Risk Management solutions including flood defence structures, weirs, gates, sluices, flood storage reservoirs, natural flood management, habitat creation, hydrometric gauging facilities and fish passes. Our integrated Water Environment team comprises in excess of 400 staff based in the UK and Europe, but with reach into the Middle East, Australasia and America.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking to appoint a River Engineer with proven ability in the development of outline and detailed designs for flood risk solutions based in our Exeter office.
The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
You will be leading the design of projects for the Environment Agency (both regionally and nationally), Devon County Council, and other public and private clients including Water Companies, Network Rail, and Major Airports. You will also work with other disciplines within the group to deliver projects for major infrastructure clients.
• Design team leadership including coordinating outline and detailed design of flood risk management and river engineering solutions
• Design of:
- Earthwork embankments and conveyance channels
- Reinforced concrete structures and foundations
- Steelwork structures including piling
- Flow control structures
- Flood gates and demountable defences
- Surface water drainage
- Natural Flood Management solutions
• Technical specifications
• Hydraulic and structural calculations
• Designers Health & Safety and Public Safety Risk Assessments
• Management of drawing production
• Liaising with clients, stakeholders, hydraulic modellers, architects and other design team members
• Technical and business case reporting
• Budget, programme and contract management • Tender development and assessment
• Civil Engineering degree with chartered status (MICE, CIWEM or similar)
• Proven ability in the development and leadership of outline and detailed design of structural and non-structural solutions for flood risk management and other applications
• Demonstrable knowledge of Safety in Design and Designers responsibilities under CDM
• Proven ability to coordinate multi-disciplinary teams in the development of design solutions
• Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients, stakeholders and other design team members
• Construction related proven ability either as a supervisor or through visiting design office support role
• Knowledge of industry standard design, modelling and drawing production packages, including Building Information Management systems
• Knowledge of hydraulic modelling packages used for flood risk management option appraisal
• Preparation of Project Appraisal Reports to Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management (FCERM) guidance processes
• Proven ability of developing client relationships to develop new opportunities
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts. Please also bear in mind that you do not need to meet 100% of the Essential Criteria to be considered for a position with Jacobs.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
Primary Location : United Kingdom-United Kingdom Countrywide-Exeter