At Amey, we are committed to creating better places to live, work and travel.
We make a difference every day for millions of people across the UK - and that's thanks to the passion and drive of our team. Our success is your success so we're as ambitious for our team as we are for our business.
Joining our team is the first step in growing your career with us. We encourage talent and help you identify and achieve your goals. We’ll then give you everything you need to succeed– whatever stage your career is.
This is our ‘People Promise’ – we create the right environment for your personal and professional growth and help you achieve it.
That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, and it’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees. Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition, you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices, which offers a range of flexible benefit options and additional benefits available throughout the year.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
TRU is a once-in-a-generation rail upgrade programme to deliver faster, longer, more frequent and more reliable rail services across the north of England, from Newcastle, Hull and York towards Manchester and Liverpool via Leeds. By connecting the major cities of the North with an enhanced, more reliable service, it has the potential to impact the lives of thousands of passengers and support economic growth across the whole of the north of England.
Amey, in partnership with Arup, BAM and Network Rail is upgrading the route between Manchester and Leeds, which includes civils, track, railway systems and electrification. The opportunity to use modern digital signalling and train control also means we can lay the foundation for the Digital Railway.
The Project Controller role has been created to provide key services to support the Project Leads in the development and monitoring of work packages the relevant project within the TRU West of Leeds programme. The role is included within an Alliance matrix organisation reporting through the Project team and within the Planning & Controls function.
What will this role involve?
The position provides a service to multiple Project Managers. Duties include:
* Responsible for producing project plans from conception to completion and advise project teams accordingly
* Interface and provide the required information to the project teams to enable Project Management reporting to be carried out including cost planning
* Lead monthly progress review meetings with the project teams to monitor and report progress
* Obtain accurate actual progress and forecast to complete from third parties and subcontractors to enable the project plan to be updated
* Preparation of progress project ‘S’-curves for measuring and monitoring periodical progress against the project baseline ‘S’-curve
* Proactively enhance the planning systems within the business. Identify and share best practice
* Establish clear communications and work effectively with members of the team
* Identify programme issues that need to be addressed with the client to ensure their satisfaction
* Ensure that agreed reporting methods and timescales are met
* Responsible for in cost and resource planning
* Support Project Lead
* Responsible for the application of Earned Value Management (establishment and maintenance of performance measurement baseline, application of appropriate earned value techniques to performance measurement and production of Earned Value metrics including variance and trend analysis);
* Interpret Earned Value Analysis Data;
* Extrapolate, spot trends, conduct root cause analysis through application of mathematical concepts.
* Pre-month end review with Project lead and prepare them for PRM;
* Management/ project assurance of Earned Value data in the reporting tool; and
* Production of the periodic reports
What we are looking for?
* Practical extensive experience in planning and scheduling
* Demonstrable knowledge of & experience of using Earned Value Management (EVM) tools & techniques
* Demonstrable knowledge of change control systems and methodologies
* Experience of undertaking / contributing to project risk & opportunity reviews
* Demonstrable experience of project progress reporting
* Substantial experience of data collection and analysis
* Previous experience with ERP systems
* Good knowledge of using PC tools especially Microsoft Office Suite
* Good analytical skills with the ability to work on complex issues, and communicate solutions concisely
* Association for Project Management Professional accreditation
* Hold an APM Project Fundamentals qualification (FPQ)
What makes this role unique?
The role would suit a Project Controller who wants to improve their planning and Project controls capability by joining an exciting programme of work to upgrade the Transpennine Route. The role is part of the Planning & Controls function, but it will be within the Alliance Project team.
The role will need to be flexible based on Project or Planning team requirements.