AWS Solutions Architect
Location: South East or London (UK remote options available)
Salary: £70,000 - £90,000 pa (+ excellent benefits)
What You’ll do…
You’ll be leading a team of super talented Cloud Engineers and working alongside Client Success Managers to help deliver the highest standard to our clients, as we help accelerate their cloud transformation from strategy through to operation.
Drawing on your broad knowledge of DevOps, IT Operations, and Cloud Technologies you will help our clients create and implement strategic roadmaps for their cloud transformation, we are an Advanced AWS Consulting partner and aligned to the Well-Architected programme, so the successful candidate will be regularly be performing Well-Architected reviews for our customers.
Depending on the maturity of the clients’ cloud adoption you will be involved in some or all stages of cloud adoption and will be able to guide them through each stage:
Vision: working with the business to establish a vision, identify cloud use cases and establishing a clear ROI model.
Strategy: creating a clear cloud strategy including a governance model, compliance and risk management, procurement processes and key technical decisions. You will have a solid understanding of where a cloud strategy feeds into a digital transformation. You will be responsible for stakeholder management and facilitation of key decisions throughout this process.
Governance: support the development of an enterprise cloud governance framework.
Design: support the client throughout the high level design of their cloud solution providing consultancy and facilitation support as required. This will include support for:
- Vendor selection
- Creation of Target Architecture
- Creation of Information Architecture
- Creation of Application Architecture
Transition: supporting the client migrating to a public or hybrid cloudincluding:
- Conduct strategic gap analysis
- Create Cloud adoption roadmap
- Create Cloud implementation plan
Operate: working with the client toestablish a model for operations suited to the cloud.
You’ll also be expected to share your thoughts internally and externally by participating in meetups, blogging, social media etc.
Here’s how your first month will look…
- Our People Team have provided you with everything you need to know during onboarding
- You are now using the laptop, kit and setup of your choice
- You’ll dive straight into your team stand-ups
- We'll introduce you to our OKR’s and possibly assigned some of your own
- You’ll be using some of the many features AWS Sandbox has to offer
- You are now the proud owner of plenty DevOpsGroup branded SWAG
- You’ll meet the two Sophie’s, five James’, five Chris’ and probably start calling everyone Sophie, James or Chris
- As a new starter, the access to our knowledge base and support systems is coming in real handy
- You will have been involved in one of our clients Well-Architected Reviews
- Any queries or concerns? These have been addressed and you’re more than ready for your DevOpsGroup future
By month three…
- You’ve continued pairing with others and work independently on areas you are more familiar with
- As you have full access to our DevOpsGroup Academy, you’ve probably completed some further certifications, such as the Agile and DevOps foundation and could be looking to further your AWS certifications
- You’ve been involved in implementing client infrastructure
- You are starting to deliver some exciting work for our clients and will have led at least one Well-Architected Review
- Perhaps you’ve got a thing or two wrong along the way, failure is an option at DevOpsGroup and is something we are always learning from
- You may have planned how you’ll be spending your yearly training budget
- You are now familiar with every member of the DevOpsGroup family
- The opportunity to influence architecture has come about once or twice
- You are familiar with a client’s tech stack
A full year with DevOpsGroup….
- You’ve added significant value to our client experience and travelled to client sites a number of times
- You’ve assisted on several successful cloud migrations and overcome some personal milestones of your own on the way
- Through our academy, you are helping to champion the next generation of talent
- You continue to be in awe of the rate of change within AWS as your knowledge of this platform continues to grow
- You know what is required of you to achieve the next grade in your career here
- Your wardrobe is now filled with DOG merch
We’re looking for people who…
- Have AWS Certifications (AWS SA Pro highly desirable)
- Are able to provide technical guidance and mentoring to the team, and to the customer
- Are able to work in Scrum and Kanban agile methodologies
- Open to occasional travel and be familiar with and want to work remotely.
- Love problem solving and naturally inquisitive
- Are excellent at sharing knowledge and explaining technical concepts
- Learn rapidly and love to develop skills
- Have the ability to share knowledge, collaborate and pair program
- Have deep DevOps domain knowledge
- Enable and encourage the team to ask the right questions from the client
- Have excellent communication skills across all technical levels
The experience you’ll need…
- Deep knowledge and understanding of one or more cloud services (AWS preferred) and stay connected to new features as they are released.
- At least 2 years’ experience working on a team that has practiced Agile software development
- At least 2 years’ experience working on architecting solutions for cloud-based deployments.
- Deep understanding of the values and principles of Agile software development.
- Ability to practice a wide range of Agile software development methods, such as, TDD, pair programming, Scrum, Kanban and BDD.
- Background knowledge of how different types of infrastructure work, including physical datacentres, containerisation and serverless technologies.
- Ability to work alongside Client Success Managers and Engineers to manage multiple stakeholders and balance priorities and the team.
- Ability to choose a pathway for a client, using requirements and existing knowledge to defend the decision.
- Able to design, discuss, and implement solutions inside the clients selected cloud service.
- Confident in running workshops with clients and presenting using a wide range of tooling.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to different levels of a client's company, from engineers to C* level people.
- An understanding of technologies that enable the DevOps culture to thrive within an organisation, including but not exclusive to, Hashicorp Stack, CloudFormation/ARM templates.
- Experience with Configuration Management tools such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible.
- Experience with Pipeline Tooling (e.g Jenkins, CodePipeline, Azure DevOps or CircleCI)
- Experience with both relational and non-relational databases (e.g MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Cassandra, DynamoDB or CosmosDB)
- Understand and applied knowledge from AWS Well-Architected and Azure Cloud Adoption Framework.
- Experience with one or more programming languages
Competitive base salary
£1,800 training allowance per annum
Choice of Mac or Windows laptop when you join
25 days holiday plus bank holidays and birthday off
8% pension - 5% you and 3% us
Flexible remote working options
Annual pay reviews
10% profit share bonus paid out annually
Health Insurance via Vitality plus a load of other perks: