Role: Mechanical Maintenance Engineer
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Working Hours: 4 x days, 4 x shifts off, 4 x nights, 4 x shifts off, rolling rota.
Salary: £34231.82 per annum, plus benefits
Major Technical are looking for a Mechanical Maintenance Engineer on behalf of our client. The role will be based at their large Recycling Facility in Rotherham, South Yorkshire.
Key Purposes of the Role
- Responsible for primarily mechanical maintenance inspections and routine repairs within all areas of the site.
- Responsible for repairing and maintaining primarily static plant and machinery to ensure utmost reliability and safety whilst reducing downtime events on critical assets.
- Working as part of a small team, must be flexible and willing to perform tasks outside of the role description.
- Work in accordance with SHEQ policies, including the reporting of close calls & incidents
- Involvement in best practice and continuous improvement, undertaking regular site audits/checks
- Close working relationship with BDR Management Team and staff
- Comply with changes to company standards and legislation
- Contributing to continuous improvement in productivity and plant availability.
- Diagnosis of running faults and ensuring effective repairs and improvements are conducted within minimum time scale.
- Carrying out planned and reactive maintenance practices.
- Carrying out plant upgrades and modifications to the required standards.
- Reporting through computerised maintenance management system all work carried out.
- Development and implementation of the programme of planned preventative maintenance and inspection to minimise downtime, provide records of recurrent faulting and engineered solutions to these issues.
- Anticipate machine failures and make such changes or recommendations to prevent reoccurrence to reduce downtime to a minimum.
- To be available for planned maintenance shutdown periods (reasonable notice will be given).
- Ensuring SHEQ standards are strictly maintained and all related documentation is completed.
- Liaising with external contractors on specific repairs/maintenance.
- Supporting initiatives and being proactive in the development of equipment, practices and systems.
- Implementing and ensuring compliance with all company policies, processes and procedures.
- Undertaking any other such reasonable job related tasks as the Company may require
- Ownership of the SHEQ culture and behaviour for the contract.
- Ensures contract runs in compliance with internal and external safety / environmental / permit / planning processes and procedures, as well as any contract requirements.
- Ensure the timely completion of actions, identified through internal and external audits.
- Drive a culture / mind-set together with the management team that builds employee motivation and commitment and develop a contract team capable of over reaching the contract targets.
- Assist the maintenance department in identifying annual lifecycle requirements, preparation of capital applications and business case papers for non-lifecycle capital purchases.
Experience, Education & Qualifications:
- Fit & active - the role involves a great deal of planned & reactive maintenance on conveyors, magnet belts, eddy current separators in enclosed/restricted spaces & working on overhead cranes (Working at Height).
- Minimum 5 x GCSE or equivalent with Mathematics and Physics mandatory
- Recognised Apprenticeship, Multi Skilled Engineer with relevant qualifications ONC/NVQ 3 discipline level (MECH Bias)
- Experience of maintaining and working on Overhead Cranes
- Waste Processing equipment knowledge
- Proven track record of delivering continuous improvement within an operational environment
- Implementation of new processes and developments
- Knowledge and understanding of the requirements of working within a time critical process environment
- IT literate - comfortable using business software and systems
- Good time management skills
- Organised with the ability to simplify complex issues
- Lives within 20-mile radius of site
- Full UK car driving licence
- Experience of FMCG type environment
- IOSH or other Health and Safety related qualifications
- Mechanical qualifications at HNC or above
- Hydraulic and pneumatic fault finding ability
- Some electrical experience or be competent with reading electrical schematics, multi-meters and fault finding
- Understanding of Green/Food Waste along with EA and ABPR regulations
- Knowledge of existing and impending environmental and health and safety legislation
- Fire Marshal training
- First aider