Altertek Ltd are seeking a highly driven Electro Mechanical Engineer to join the engineering team and lead the designing of battery related mechanical supporting structures, wiring looms, current paths, schematic creation, enclosures and manufacturing drawings.
Altertek Ltd – Overview
Altertek is a specialist Lithium Ion battery electronics development, integration and manufacturing company that provides outsourced design services for customers, as well as developing and manufacturing their own product range.
Altertek work with customers in exciting applications such as Motorsport, Subsea and Automotive.
Altertek are one of very few companies in Europe that design and manufacture High Voltage batteries making demand for their services very high. Offering a complete battery solution including battery enclosure design, electronics development, embedded software development, manufacturing and testing and all to the coveted ISO9001:2015 accredited integrated management system.
- Company pension scheme.
- Free onsite parking.
- A 2-minute walk to Romsey train station with direct links to Eastleigh, Southampton and Salisbury.
- Free tea and coffee.
- Altertek operate a flexible working week based around core hours which is great for working parents, gym sessions and other hobbies and interests.
Altertek offer 30 days annual holiday including statutory bank holidays and also offer an additional 1 day’s holiday for every completed year of service up to an additional 5 days.
Position - Detailed
Altertek are currently looking to recruit a highly motivated, passionate and focused
Electro-Mechanical Engineer to be part of the engineering team at their facility based in Romsey, Hampshire, UK.
The role will involve development and design of new products including batteries, battery enclosures, battery supporting structures, wiring looms, high current paths, as well as to provide product improvements and help maintain and support legacy products.
The successful candidate will work with highly skilled likeminded people who are proactive and passionate about what they do in a company that is guided by core values, including: environmental, social, ethical and moral responsibility and integrity. As a result, we do not engage with products that cause deliberate harm to people or the environment.
As part of this company the candidate will not simply be a number. You will be involved in decision making, customer interactions and helping to create exciting products in one of the world’s fastest growing industries.
- Design and develop new products and product improvements, balancing innovative engineering design, functional requirements and aesthetic appeal with product safety, cost effectiveness, ease of manufacture, installation and maintainability.
- Create and maintain manufacturing drawings.
- Build and refine prototypes.
- Work in compliance with the company’s engineering design rules and the product development process.
- Create and maintain product and project specifications.
- Ensure that development work adheres to the requirements of design specifications and other supporting documentation.
- Play an active role in projects, team meetings etc. Liaise with other cross-functional team members, suppliers, customers and other interested parties throughout projects.
- Participate and where necessary lead design reviews, communicate ideas and solutions, influence decisions and problem solving.
- Validate and document design solutions ensuring they are robust and reliable by using relevant tools and techniques such as computerised modelling, prototyping, FMEA, FEA, life testing, load testing etc. Evaluate outcomes and act as required.
- Support the creation and maintenance of technical files as new products are designed, or existing products are changed.
- Provide technical support to other areas of the business when required.
- Assist the commercial team in creating quotations for potential new projects.
- Provide regular reports to senior members of staff on project progress.
Minimum Essential Attributes
- At least 5 years' industry experience in electro-mechanical design, or at least 5 years' industry experience in mechanical design with demonstrable understanding of electrical concepts.
- Proficient and experienced in the use of modern CAD software (Preferably Solidworks)
- Knowledgeable in modern general design standards (Such as BS8888)
- Proficient at researching materials and processes.
- Proficient in the use of day to day software packages such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to work as part of a mixed-discipline team.
- 'Self-starter’ capable of working with minimal guidance and solving problems using available resources.
Ideal Required Attributes
- Working knowledge and experience of Solidworks.
- Experience of designing “Industrial” products.
- Experience and knowledge of designing to relevant European directives and standards such as LVD and General Product Safety.
- Good working knowledge of material properties and selection criteria.
- Good working knowledge of wiring looms including wiring concepts, termination methods, design and assembly.
- Has an excellent understanding of engineering best practice and experience designing for manufacture and maintainability.
- Is proficient in basic workshop skills and techniques to assemble and test mechanical designs and products.
- Is proficient in basic electrical skills such as soldering, crimping, wire stripping, using various electronic test equipment such as DVMs.
- Experience of working within an ISO9001 environment.
- Experience of battery design.
- Experience of Lithium Ion batteries and cells.
- Experience of working with battery powered / Electric Vehicles.
- Experience of working in Subsea or Oil and Gas or Industry.
- An interest in electric vehicle / renewable energy technologies.
- Experience of working with / designing High Voltage Systems (up to 1500VDC).
Personal attributes and behaviours
- Care about the environment and want to use your skills to create products that work towards helping the environment and improving the future.
- A strong personality to be able to deal with customers and team members in solving problems and making sound decisions when under pressure.
- Has a creative mind with the ability to innovate and adapt.
- Has a high level of tenacity and drive.
- Has excellent problem-solving abilities and use of problem-solving tools and techniques.
- Has excellent organisational skills and is highly task focused and able to prioritise, whilst also being flexible.
- Is a good communicator interpersonal and relationship forming skills, able to communicate effectively and interact at all levels of the business.
- Has an excellent if not an obsessive attention to detail.
- Committed to actively improving own skills, knowledge, business awareness and performance through ongoing personal development.
- An interest in electric vehicle / renewable energy technologies.