Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Contact : Please apply online for this vacancy using your Workday profile with your CV attached.
If you have any further questions, please contact James Weaver within Airbus Group Employment Operations (james.weaver.external@Airbus.com)
Priority will be given to employees whose position is impacted by a workforce adaptation initiative.
Description of the job : Airbus Zephyr RPAS capability is at the leading edge of technology, always looking for improvements and new developments to enhance this HAPS (High Altitude Pseudo Satellite) platform.
The role of the Power System Engineer is to contribute technical and engineering expertise into the delivery of fit-for-purpose power sub-system solutions suitable for recurring production and operation of Airbus’ Zephyr aircraft.
As part of the Zephyr Power team, you will
- Work as part of diverse product engineering teams, and with the wider Zephyr aircraft system and sub-system teams to provide safe and cost-effective electrical power sub-system solutions to time, cost and quality.
- Comprising battery assemblies solar arrays power management electronics and unique test equipment and other Ground Support Equipment to handle and process the hardware].
- Collaborate with partners, to develop solutions that will satisfy regulatory safety requirements within a flight operations and aircraft maintenance environment.
Task & accountabilities : As part of Diverse Product Teams, manage the functional and performance aspects of design solutions including supporting wider design trade-off activities concerning quality, risk and cost.
- Provide power system technology expertise into the definition of ...
- Engineer plans of work (encompassing design development and verification phases).
- End-user instructions (encompassing transportation storage handling operation and disposal).
Lead own work packages, as tasked, as part of the execution and delivery of power sub-system development projects, including...
- the development of associated Ground Support Equipment development tools and test equipment necessary to process and utilise the power system design solutions
- The transition of solutions into recurring production and flight line operations.
- Act as Design Authority for power sub-system design solutions as formally delegated by the Zephyr System Design Authority.
Provide technical support to ...
- Zephyr system level teams in the design optimisation of the Zephyr RPAS capability.
- Airbus supply-chain teams, in particular for supplier level development, verification and production activities (including approving test plans and procedures reviewing test results analysing performance and degradation over life and evaluation of design and process changes).
- Zephyr flight-line operations teams handling and utilising the battery solutions (including handling, storing, integrating, operating, dismounting and disposal).
- Support anomaly investigations through to route cause and subsequent resolution, following internal non-conformance control process.
- Conduct ongoing analysis and evaluation of battery and solar array data regarding usage, performance & life.
- Support future road mapping activities, including building development plans for next-generation power system solutions, including latest technology for application in the HAPS environment.
- Help improve designs, processes.
- Ensure health, safety and environmental risks and hazards are considered throughout the work conducted. Including generating Risk Assessments.
- Mentor and support other members of the Zephyr Power Sub-System team.
There may be occasional travel overseas with this role.
Required skills : We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
- Direct experience with analysing/evaluating battery technology designs and data. In particular, in the field of advanced Lithium based chemistry batteries. - Experience of developing new product solutions for applications. - Experience applying DFx during development is desirable. - Experience establishing test and verification plans, equipment and methods is desirable. - Experience with data analysis software (e.g. MATLAB or similar) is desirable. - Experience of taking technology solutions through New Product Introduction (NPI) phases would be advantageous.
Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements
- Proactive, team-oriented and willing to take on challenges. - Constructively guide colleagues, suppliers and customers. - Plan own work and prioritise tasks following project needs. - Deliver to time, cost and quality. - Safety conscious approach to own work and that of others.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
In return we can offer a great benefits package with annual profit share a growing list of company benefits and career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Because of the nature of work undertaken, these positions are required to meet special nationality rules and therefore these vacancies are only open to sole British Citizens. If you who meet this criteria you will also undergo security clearance vetting, if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus. Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.