Lead HVAC Engineer
Location – Falkirk / Larbert / Scarborough / Skelmersdale / Guildford
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
More than half of the buses that you see on the roads in the UK are made by Alexander Dennis, with over 3.5 million passengers a day in London alone are making a journey on one of our buses. Globally, there’s over 25,000 people every minute, of every day using our products. That’s a lot of responsibility we have for keeping the world moving.
Do you have any idea of the engineering that goes into bringing these products to market and ensuring reliability over 16-hour duty cycles, up to 15-year lifespans and hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions?
Engineering at Alexander Dennis takes many forms; however, in simple terms, we design buses and coaches by seamlessly integrating third-party systems and components (engines, transmissions etc.) into the Alexander Dennis designed chassis and body, all of which to meet our customers exacting requirements.
We are looking for highly technically competent and ambitious Lead HVAC Engineer to join experienced and established team in the UK. It will be your responsibility totake new products from concept to production and ultimately on time customer deliveries, whilst ensuring they fully adhere to our quality, reliability and homologation standards.
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will be educated to Masters degree level in Mechanical or Design Engineering field, preferably with some background in Thermodynamic and Fluid mechanic.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry and in particular bus, coach or HGV.
- Your previous work experience will ideally cover Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning as well as Powertrain cooling systems and thermal management.
- You are proficient in CFD analysis - conducted either in Automotive interior and/or under bonnet thermal management.
- You will be familiar with HVAC load evaluation and/or cooling pack thermal calculation.
- You will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate your ideas and thoughts in multidisciplinary teams both on site and remotely.
- You will be a competent user in 3D CAD, ideally Solid Edge, but a transferable skill in similar packages such as Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor or similar is a must.
- Your previous experience will include design for manufacture with specific knowledge of fabrication, sheet metal, welded structures, bonding and mechanical fastening.
- You will also be confident with appropriate material selection including metals, plastics and composites.
- Ideally you will also have knowledge of components and systems commonly used in automotive applications and the design rules or calculations that would support the selection or definition of the appropriate components and systems to a project.
- Shortly after our Lead engineer has reviewed the full technical specification against our existing portfolio of projects, you will support in helping to determine if a solution already exists, or new design work is required.
- You’ll then support the senior on-site engineer by providing engineering designs to deliver the business milestones
- Your skills will then be used to develop solutions that are technically fit for purpose, reliable, serviceable and meet appropriate legislation.
- You’ll liaise with neighboring departments including Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Reliability and Operations to support the successful manufacture and delivery of products.
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- We’re at the forefront of automotive technology and you’ll get to work on all types of drivelines from diesel to hydrogen fuel cells, to hybrids and full electric vehicles, contributing significantly to the de-carbonisation of the environment.
- Innovation and new product development is at the heart of our success and you’ll get exposure to exciting projects such as autonomous vehicles.
- Career development is not necessarily linear, so whether you want to progress on to Principal Engineer, or perhaps your interests are in Operations or Commercial, you’ll have plenty of opportunities available to you. Throughout your time with us you’ll gain exposure to all parts of the business, enhancing your profile and future career opportunities.
- With facilities on three continents, you could consider future roles in vibrant cities such as Hong Kong and Toronto. As part of the $3.2bn turnover NFI Group, this opens 50 locations in ten countries with more to come.
- On top of a competitive package, which includes progressive pay potential and pension, we also operate a half day on Fridays giving you that much needed work-life-balance.
- We’ll gladly support with helping you achieve professional qualifications such as IET.
If your skills and experience are matching with this challenging role and you want to join a growing, successful international business, then we would love to hear from you.
Alongside uploading your CV, please provide a cover letter with the five key reasons that you feel make you an ideal candidate for our programme.