Sweco are looking for passionate and ambitious graduates who have a drive to design complex mechanical building services systems and have the ability to work within a challenging and stimulating team environment.
Given Sweco's global recognition as a leading Building Services Consultant, with a track history of delivering the world's most Sustainable Buildings such as the Bloomberg European headquarters achieving the highest ever BREEAM score we are seeking to recruit graduates that share our ethos. Sweco are looking for passionate and ambitious graduates who have a drive to design complex mechanical building services systems and have the ability to work within a challenging and stimulating team environment. We will provide the necessary support and opportunities for you to develop and fulfill your career goals.
We recruit some of the very best science and engineering graduates in order to maintain the company's position at the leading edge of the construction industry. Graduates and young engineers have always been the focus of development and training within the company. Through enrolment of our CIBSE and Engineering Council accredited training and development scheme, you would be embarking on a career with a fast track to success and Chartership supported by an experienced mentor and structured scheme.
Outline of role
Graduate trainees will work alongside experienced engineers within a project team on the development and production of building services designs for a range of projects. They will learn skills and develop experience allowing them to undertake tasks independently and progress their career.
Day to day activities may include:
- Immediately working as an integral team member for some of the most prestigious construction projects in the UK, working alongside world leading architects and innovative Engineering teams.
- Thermal analysis and assessment of ventilation requirements to determine loads for central plant and systems.
- Comparing alternative mechanical design proposals and developing the building with design team to incorporate passive and active design solutions.
- Developing the building Energy Strategy to adopt appropriate sustainable and low carbon mechanical design systems.
- Selection of appropriate plant and equipment to develop mechanical plantroom configurations.
- Attending workshops and meetings with the architect and project team.
- Liaison with manufacturers to keep abreast of latest technologies and applications
- Technical report writing and design presentation as well as preparation of tender drawings and specifications.
- Use of thermal modelling software and CAD including AutoCad and Revit.
- Detailed analysis of pipework and ductwork distribution systems and co-ordination with other disciplines.
- Site visits, surveys and witnessing system commissioning
Training and Development
The Sweco CIBSE and IET Accredited Training Programme:
- Is assigned a buddy (usually a 2nd year trainee) to help them settle in and provide peer support
- Is assigned a Senior Chartered engineer to review their progress every 3 months and to provide guidance in their development
- Will join a design team working on live projects from day one. Undertaking a wide range of activities including design, attending meetings and visiting construction sites
- Will spend time with specialist departments within the company
- Attend university on a day release basis to supplement their first degree as necessary
- Takes part in tutorials and seminars on a range of technical and managerial topics
- Have achieved eligibility to apply for Chartered Engineer status at the end of the programme
As an employer, we aim to inspire our people and empower them to achieve excellence both for themselves and our clients. We also aim to cultivate a high level of technical excellence within a framework that recognises both our clients' commercial objectives and a wider social responsibility.
A degree in an engineering discipline or other science related discipline
- Strong interpersonal / team working skills
- Familiarity with relevant software packages such as MS Office etc.
- An interest in the construction industry
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and seek assistance when required
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure that timescales are met
- Good problem solving/contingency planning skills with ability to find quick, innovative and practical solutions
- Take responsibility for personal development
- Project a professional image to clients and colleagues
- Able to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships with colleagues, clients and contractors.
- Able to recognise own impact on others and adapt approach where appropriate
Demonstrate pride in work, through accurate timely delivery