IQVIA™ is the leading human data science company focused on helping healthcare clients find unparalleled insights and better solutions for patients. Formed through the merger of IMS Health and Quintiles, IQVIA offers a broad range of solutions that harness the power of healthcare data, domain expertise, transformative technology, and advanced analytics to drive healthcare forward.
This high-profile team work on ground-breaking problems in health outcomes across disease areas including Ophthalmology, Oncology, Neurology, Chronic diseases (such as diabetes), and a variety of very rare conditions. The team works hand-on-hand with Statisticians, Epidemiologists and disease area experts across the wider global Real World Solutions group, leveraging a vast variety of anonymous patient-level information. The data encompasses IQVIA’s access to over 530 million anonymised patients as well as bespoke, custom partnerships with healthcare providers and payers.
We are looking for an experienced and highly productive software engineer to join our London-based team.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in one of the world's leading human data science teams working with Real World Insights to help our clients answer specific questions globally, make more informed decisions and deliver results.
The primary focus of the role is to develop high-performance machine learning software for use by a data science team on large scale, high complexity medical data to predict answers to healthcare challenges. The ability to learn extremely fast and rapidly build skills in cutting-edge technologies is essential. You will be operating outside of your comfort zone – creativity and an innovative spirit will serve you well.
At IQVIA we appreciate and nurture individual talent. Therefore, the exact blend of responsibilities and individual career development will in part depend on the skill set and aspirations of the successful candidate.
• A strong background in commercial software development, with at least 8 years of experience or a relevant combination of education, training and work experience. You may have worked on applications in different domains, with modern languages and frameworks. You will need to know your way around low-level languages, parallel and distributed programming, or specialised high-performance computing. Work with GPU technology is a bonus.
• This role will be working full time with the Julia programming language. Experience in this language is desirable but not necessary. If you’ve never used it before you must be able and willing to learn fast.
• BSc, MSc or PhD in Computer Science (or similar field involving lots of computation) is preferred but not essential.
• You have experience working with Agile methodology such as Scrum or Kanban and familiarity with software development practices such as Continuous Integration, Behaviour-
Driven Development and DevOps. You will have strong opinions on how to design high-quality, maintainable code for the long-term.
• You will have some familiarity with data science technology and the nature of analytical projects. This is not a data scientist role, but they will be your stakeholders, so you’ll need to know what they are talking about. Knowledge of the latest developments in machine learning and some experience of engineering with the relevant technologies on commercial or large academic projects is welcome.
• A proactive, innovative and pragmatic approach to problem solving and an ability to think critically and independently, able to work as part of a cross-functional team.
*Significant experience (ideally complex commercial projects) developing in a compiled language such as: Julia, C++, C, Rust, Scala, Java, Go.
*Significant experience developing packages in at least one scripting language such as: Python, Lua, Ruby, R.
• Comfortable with developing on Linux and shell scripting.
• Some experience with HPC technology such as OpenMP, or writing other highly parallel applications.
• Some knowledge of supervised machine learning methods, particularly tree classifiers (e.g. XGBoost, LightGBM), etc. from Python libraries.
• Experience with software development lifecycles.
• Good programming skills in Python.
• Understanding of what it takes to write clean code, work well with other developers and how to deal with complexity as a project matures.
• Experience working with GPU technology for either machine learning or video games. CUDA, OpenCL, Vulkan, etc.
• Experience of mathematical optimisation techniques, such as Bayesian hyperparameter optimisation or genetic algorithms, and Python packages such as GPyOpt, Spearmint or hyperopt.
• Knowledge of deep learning methods, such as convolutional neural networks, recurrent neural networks, reinforcement learning on structured datasets such as medical records.
• Experience with Neural Network libraries (e.g. TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch).
• Experience with a variety of data storage and processing technologies such as SQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Redis, MongoDB, Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Cassandra.
• Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS, GCP, Azure and also container systems like Docker and Kubernetes.
• Knowledge of healthcare patient-level data.
• Knowledge of epidemiology / biostatistics, particularly analytical issues relating to studies of treatment effectiveness, disease progression, adherence, healthcare utilization, etc.
• Work in bioinformatics.
• Knowledge of healthcare / life science issues involving Real-World Evidence.
• Experience with patient-level, longitudinal data.
We are serious about healthcare software. We have a dedicated, collaborative team with meaningful shared goals who can use the most cutting-edge technology, the largest data sets, and the best analytics tools to achieve them. And we have fun on the journey!
We invite you to be part of a recognized global leader willing to challenge the status quo to improve patient care. You will be in good company, amongst some of the finest minds in Technology and Healthcare.
IQVIA is a strong advocate of diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We believe that a work environment that embraces diversity will give us a competitive advantage in the global marketplace and enhance our success. We believe that an inclusive and respectful workplace culture fosters a sense of belonging among our employees, builds a stronger team, and allows individual employees the opportunity to maximize their personal potential.
Making a positive impact on human health takes insight, curiosity, and intellectual courage. It takes brave minds, pushing the boundaries to transform healthcare. Regardless of your role, you will have the opportunity to play an important part in helping our clients drive healthcare forward and ultimately improve outcomes for patients.
Forge a career with greater purpose, make an impact, and never stop learning.
The number of jobs in each salary range for all: