As a result of the growth of the Darlington office, our Structures team has a requirement for a Bridges Technician to work on a variety of Highways England schemes.
Provide support to a project design team to fulfil the project requirements, to ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards and ensure delivery on time, within budget and to the quality required.
What makes this role unique?
Good career progression options for the selected candidate with opportunity for development of technical, commercial and project management skills.
Selected candidate will have chance to work on a significant and varied structures stock.
What will this role involve?
* Work with the Structures team, based in our Darlington office, to provide an in-house design service for Highways England’s Area 14 team;
* Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence, generally comprising design of maintenance interventions on steel, concrete or masonry highways structures, including production of drawings and specification;
* Potential to design and manage highway structures schemes;
* Visiting sites to take measurements, liaise with contractors/provide technical support when necessary;
* Be confident to work under minimum supervision and to gradually enhance competence to enable checking of others work
* Management of own workload to help ensure timely project delivery is achieved within budget and to the required standard;
* Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations;
* Prepare drawings and documents in relation to design work undertaken by self or others;
* Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment;
* Any other work required as part of normal duties, depending upon experience and abilities.
What are we looking for?
* HNC in Civil Engineering desirable as a minimum;
* A minimum of 2 years post-graduate work experience in the assessment and design of highways structures (bridges, retaining walls, culverts etc.);
* Experience/awareness of Highways England’s Design Manual for Roads and Bridges and Manual of Contract Documents for Highways Works;
* Sound knowledge and understanding of the engineering principles behind highway structures;
* Computer literate and conversant with the MS Office suite. Experience with appropriate engineering software packages (AutoCAD, etc.);
* Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work within a small team and have a dedicated approach to working within, and meeting, strict deadlines;
* Experience in the production of drawings, specifications and other design package documentation.
Who are we?
In 2017 Amey were awarded a contract with Highways England to provide Design Services in Area 14 which covers the North East and North Yorkshire. We work collaboratively with Highways England to deliver maintenance and improvement design solutions for a variety of Highways, Structures, Technology projects. Recent projects have included:
* Multiple Highway Resurfacing / Recycling schemes of value £2.5M - £10M
* Feasibility and development works to generate Structures Forward Programme
You will be part of a team that improves the infrastructure that the local community uses every day; and as these projects are in the same geographical region as these projects, you will have the opportunity to see the designs you are involved in through to completion.
Amey provide support to allow the candidate to obtain a professional qualification(s) with relevant institutions.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What to do next:
To become a Civil Structures Technician for Amey Consulting as part of the Highways division, follow the link to apply. If your experience looks to be a good fit, we will contact you for an informal initial conversation.