Job Title: Council Tax Officer
Pay rate: 16.31
Duration: 3 Months
Hours per week: 35 hours
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
· To assist, as part of a team, in the administration of Council Tax accounts.
· Use office computer systems to maintain accurate records of liability, charges, reductions, payments and arrangements (including those made at Liability Order and Committal court hearings).
· Deal with associated customer contacts in a professional and timely manner.
· Check and issue bills, recovery notices, enforcement documents and enquiry forms to ensure prompt collection and enforcement of Council Tax - including the referral of cases to enforcement agents (bailiffs) and other appropriate proceedings.
To acquire and maintain a thorough understanding of Council Tax legislation, the office computer systems, security measures, office policies and procedures, so that the following duties are carried out accurately and correctly.
1. To maintain the Council Tax records for the team using office computer systems in accordance with laid down procedures.
2. To ascertain and check all necessary information, using permitted sources and by liaison with other council sections and outside organisations, to determine the persons legally liable to Council Tax. To carry out further enquiries and investigations as necessary to verify particular circumstances. To amend the records promptly on becoming aware of any changes to liability.
3. To assist more junior, temporary or less experienced accounts staff, and work experience students, by providing day to day advice and guidance on using the system and procedures.
4 To deal promptly and efficiently with Council Tax customers, their agents, and other persons and organisations with a legitimate interest, by telephone, in writing, by email and in person (whether at the reception or at the magistrates court). At all times having regard to the council's Equality & Diversity Policy, the provisions of the Data Protection legislation and adherence to the objective to deliver services to a high level of customer care. To properly record dealings with customers.
5. To record, report and resolve complaints from customers, and/or referring more complex and contentious matters to the senior officer or manager.
6. To process applications for discounts, disregards and exemptions promptly and efficiently, requesting further information or inspections where necessary.
7. To check and despatch system generated documentation (including rolling review forms, bills, reminders, summonses, Pre -enforcement letters, committal warnings and committal summonses).
8. To maintain accurate payment and instalment details on customer accounts and in particular to promote direct debit as a preferred method of payment. Carry out credit and debit card transactions with customers, whether by telephone, or through letters or emails.
9. To assist in the checking of summons prelists, liability order lists, civil enforcement (bailiff) prelists and other arrears listings to ensure appropriate enforcement action is taken, recovery action held or cancelled when necessary, or that recommendations/referrals are made to a more senior officer.
10. To use negotiating skills and exercise discretion to make and monitor arrangements with defaulting Council Tax customers, in accordance with laid down procedures and with regard to the particular facts in each case.
11. In conjunction with the returns on financial information request forms, determine suitable cases and issue the necessary documentation for attachments of earnings, deductions from Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance, and referrals to bailiffs. If appropriate, identify and refer cases for committal proceedings, attachment of members' allowances, Charging Orders, or insolvency proceedings.
12. To assist the Customer Accounts Manager in representing the Council in court proceedings, including making payment arrangements with customers at the Magistrates Court. To discuss and obtain income and expenditure details with customers for means enquiries at committal courts.
13. To assist in the preparation of means enquiry files, collating screen prints, correspondence, nulla bona certificates and any other relevant documents required at committal proceedings.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy
The number of jobs in each salary range for all:
£38.00 - £42.00 per hour + Depending on experience
more details »