• Specify and implement new developments to expand the capability of the existing DP System, or associated tools, for continuous improvement and/or simplification.
• Modernisation and porting of existing functionality to new platforms and/or operating systems as required.
• Investigation of issues reported on vessels in operation.
• Provide support for DP project, commissioning and service teams worldwide.
• Support discussions with stakeholders to map out the future strategy for DP Systems
• Ensure full documentation of the standard products for internal and external users of the DP system.
• Comply with the relevant marine classification society design rules.
• Occasional travel to customer or other GE development locations may be required.
The Dynamic Positioning (DP) Systems Engineer will be part of the Marine Automation team within GE Power Conversion who are responsible for maintaining and developing the DP product encompassing position control (vessel modelling, thrust allocation etc.) and associated tools and functions (e.g. route planning, consequence analysis).
The role combines engineering skills, particularly in the marine control and automation domain, with software implementation.
1. A Minimum of 5 years working in automation and control or a similar technical discipline
2. Degree or equivalent in engineering, science or maths with computer literacy, or computer science.
3. Demonstrated practical experience of utilising a high-level programming language such as C, C++ or C#
4. Experience of software configuration management tools (e.g. GIT, Perforce)
5. Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict timescales.
6. Good written and verbal communication skills
7. Strong interpersonal skills
1. Ten or more years’ experience in automation and control or a similar technical discipline
2. Network and communications protocols (Ethernet, Modbus, serial links)
3. Familiarity with technologies such as VxWorks OS, Microsoft Visual Studio, .NET and WPF
4. Previous experience of Dynamic Positioning systems.
5. Technical leadership skills
6. Knowledge of marine classification society rules (DNV, ABS, etc.)
7. Knowledge of IEC 62443 & other cyber security standards
GE’s Power Conversion business applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electrification of the world’s energy infrastructure by designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today’s industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future. Serving specialized sectors such as energy, marine, oil and gas, renewable and industry, through customized solutions and advanced technologies, GE Power Conversion partners with customers to maximize efficiency.
GE Power Conversion is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities.
We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles; and we are open to discuss flexible ways of working that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients.