Senior CAD Technician
Salary: Band B - depending on experience.
Job Type: Permanent, Full Time, 40 hrs per week.
Location: London, North Acton.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 6:30pm.
Reporting to: Managing Director and Business Manager
Department: CAD Department and Director Support Team
About You & the Role:
Neg Earth Lights is an environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally within the live entertainment Industry. As Senior CAD Technician, producing effective and creative 2D and 3D CAD drawings, you play a vital role in promoting Neg Earth Lights as a leading provider of tailored lighting solutions; bringing to life the vision, of the Directors, Senior Managers and external clients. You will be involved from initial concept and the construction stages of a wide range of multi-disciplinary projects through to completion for a successful live show.
You are also responsible for making sure that the company is kept up to date on the latest capabilities of CAD and Design in general, attending external events and networking with similar professionals.
You’ll play an essential part in your team and company success story by efficiently and effectively carrying out duties including:
- Working with Directors, Project Managers, Project coordinators, Equipment Team, HOD’s, Fabrication Department and external clients to create Rigging Plots, Lighting Plots, Site Plans, Engineering Drawings, Schematics and any other drawings as required.
- Maintenance of the Directory of drawings and providing electronic and hard copies as required.
- Maintenance of drawing tools including block, calculation tools.
- Creating and maintaining up to date venue/site drawings for common venues/sites.
- Maintenance of the Neg Earth Lights Site drawings, including updating as required.
- Calculation of Rigging loads as required.
- Liaise with external suppliers (software and materials) including the provision of Cutting files required for Laser and CNC where required.
- R&D concepts from both internal and external personnel for job specific specialist items. Working with clients and suppliers where required.
- All other media creation. Inc. photo editing, image creation, Visualizations, Printing.
- Train and consult on drawing packages when required for Personnel/company programs or tasks
- Be highly flexible with different drawing disciplines and have a broad knowledge of manufacturing techniques and materials.
- Maintain a good working routine to be able to return drawings quickly and accurately.
- Development of a Neg Earth Lights drawing standard.
- Ensuring the drawing software is up to date and legal.
- Provide a positive environment to aid the motivation of the CAD team, ensure strong and timely communication and problem solving in partnership with the rest of the teams.
- Meet financial objectives by having an understanding of what drives cost on a project and ensuring visions and ambitions are captured and mutually agreed upon.
- Attend HODs meetings / Production meetings to assist Project Managers, in the interpretation of drawings.
- Ensure compliance with the appropriate CAD standards.
- Contribute to further developing CAD standards as required.
- Lead and mentor less experienced members of the CAD team, whilst managing own workload and workload of freelancers; ensuring deliverables are completed on time and to quality standards.
- Be creatively and analytically focused in providing visual solutions to challenging lighting designs.
- Support our internal team members and external clients specifically Lighting Designers in achieving their vision within varying degrees of worldwide venues, space constraints and restrictions.
- Seize opportunities to generate exceptional design concepts with accuracy, challenge and creativity, whilst being able to meet or exceed the client’s expectations.
Standard Companywide Responsibilities:
- Any other duties as required / authorised by your Line Manager / Line Management reporting line.
- Comply with all Health and Safety requirements.
- Comply with all Policies and Procedures.
- Ensuring that work areas are kept in a clean and tidy manner at all times.
- Strong 2D/3D CAD/ draughting background.
- Knowledge of materials and manufacturing techniques.
- Previous experience in a lighting rental business.
- A basic knowledge of rental lighting equipment.
- Passionate about creative lighting and engineering design solutions within the music touring industry. Have a keen interest in following an array of Lighting Designers portfolios within the music industry and keeping up to date with various music industry lighting trends.
- Flexible and adaptable to easily cope with our industries fast track projects and ever changing client requirements in a positive proactive manner
- Ability to work autonomously whilst being a real team player.
- Willingness to take ownership and accountability
- Ability to plan ahead, organise, prioritise, delegate and oversee workload.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, demonstrating resilience, flexibility and ability to maintain positive relationships.
- Can-do positive attitude
- Great communication skills.
- The show must go on so providing a 7 day operation/service is key. Therefore the ability to work paid overtime on occasions, including weekends is essential.
- Advanced MS Office applications skills– Outlook, Excel, Word.
- Autodesk CAD – Highly skilled.
- An ability to demonstrate a solid practical knowledge of the important aspects of CAD within the music touring industry.
- Knowledge and familiarity of music venue internal layouts and locations of at least ones based in the UK.
- An extensive knowledge of rental lighting equipment.
- Mentally flexible – to move from job to job quickly.
- Adobe Suite.
- A keen passion and interest for the music industry is a must.
- Proven experience in a similar role.
Education / Qualifications:
- CAD Training/Education.
- CND/BND/GNVQ Educated.
- Degree educated.
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary package
- Private Healthcare.
- Free onsite Gym.
- Free onsite parking.
- Enhanced sick pay (after successful probationary period).
- Enhanced annual leave package.
- The opportunity to continue to grow and develop whilst working alongside a skilled team in a supportive culture.
How to apply: please fill in our application form and submit your CV and Cover letter. Note that applicants who do not submit a cover letter and fill in the required application questions may not be shortlisted to interview.
We really appreciate you taking the time to read more about Neg Earth Lights and the role. We try very hard to reply to each applicant. As we receive a large number of candidate responses, unfortunately we are not always able to get back to every candidate individually. Therefore, should you not be contacted within 10 days after the submission of your application, then your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. You will however be contacted if you have been shortlisted to the next stage.
We are an Equal Opportunities employer. We’ll be happy to help with any specialist arrangements in order for you to apply or interview for this role. Let us know and we’ll do our best to make all possible adjustments.
We would like to encourage you to follow our LinkedIn, Facebook and website for other vacancies so that we can look forward to your application for other roles that may be of your interest in the future.
We wish you all the best of luck!