Role Summary:The Automation Systems Engineer will be part of the Marine Automation team within GE Power Conversion responsible for maintaining and developing the Marine Automation controller product encompassing Vessel Control, Power Management and associated tools.
The role combines engineering skills, particularly in the marine power system and automation domain, with software implementation.
Essential Responsibilities:The role is responsible for:
• Specify and implement new developments to expand the capability of existing Marine Automation architecture or associated tools, for continuous improvement and/or simplification.
• Modernisation and porting of existing functionality to new platforms and/or operating systems as required.
• Validation of new software releases from the industrial controller core software team or from within the Marine Automation Standards team.
• Investigation of issues based on existing or legacy contracts for vessels in operation.
• Provide support for Marine Automation project, commissioning and service teams worldwide.
• Support discussions with stakeholders to map out the future strategy for Marine Automation.
• Ensure full documentation of standard products for internal and external users.
• Comply with relevant marine classification society design rules.
• Occasional travel to customer or other GE development locations may be required.
Qualifications/Requirements:1. Degree or equivalent in engineering, science or maths with computer literacy, or computer science.
- Experience in a high-level programming language, such as C/C++.
- A Minimum of 5 years working in Industrial automation and/or control theory or a similar technical discipline
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict timescales.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
Desired Characteristics:1. Marine power systems or other HV/MV power generation and distribution systems.
- PLC programming.
- Network and communications protocols (e.g. Ethernet, Modbus, Profibus, serial links).
- Familiarity with tools and products such as VxWorks OS, Microsoft Visual Studio, software configuration management, Iconics GraphWorX32/64 HMI products and ISaGRAF
- On-site commissioning experience.
About Us:GE's Power Conversion business applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electrification of the world's energy infrastructure by designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today's industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future. Serving specialized sectors such as energy, marine, oil and gas, renewable and industry, through customized solutions and advanced technologies, GE Power Conversion partners with customers to maximize efficiency.
GE Power Conversion is committed to taking on the world's toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world's brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities.
We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles; and we are open to discuss flexible ways of working that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients.Additional Locations:United Kingdom;Rugby;