Play a supporting role in helping the County's most vulnerable children
Your administrative skills and talent for organisation will be highly valued here in the Children’s Services team. We can offer you a genuinely varied and responsible position and the chance to play a supporting role in helping the County’s most vulnerable children.
Based at Hampshire House, Eastleigh, our teams work to safeguard young people, promote their welfare and maximise their life chances. We want you to keep everything running smoothly behind the scenes to reduce the administrative burden on your colleagues. The more efficient and effective your contribution, the more our Social Workers can focus on direct work with children and families.
The duties involve everything from scanning documentation onto our system and sending out letters through to accurately updating client records. Administrative experience is essential, along with good IT and communication skills.
What we can offer you:
- Training, both in-house and E-learning.
- 24 days paid holiday (pro rata), increasing after 5 years’ service.
- Access to free and confidential Employee Support (including 24/7 counselling and advice).
- Salary and career progression.
- Opportunity to become a member of the Local Government Pension Scheme with employer contribution included.
- For the full list of our employee benefits please click here.
You will need:
- Assisting with organising and developing support services and resources to meet business needs.
- Updating and monitoring local management information systems, outlook calendars, diary management etc.
- Providing high quality customer service skills with strong attention to detail.
- Maintaining an awareness of the corporate and departmental policies and procedures and applying them in the day to day job requirements.
- Compiling routine letters, e-mails & word processing of other correspondence including letters, mailshots & reports as required by teams/management.
- Reception duties including opening of post and dealing with routine enquiries/signposting.
- Updating client data and maintenance of client information system (ICS).
- General admin duties ie; filing, photocopying, faxing etc,
- Scheduling of meetings, booking venues and refreshments as required.
- Minute-taking at meetings - including sending invites, meeting/greeting visitors, typing up & distributing minutes within strict deadlines.
- Ordering of stationery .
- To undertake any training required for job role.
- Ad hoc projects, as agreed with your manager, which are commensurate with the skill-set of this post.
- GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths.
- Previous experience of delivering a wide range of administrative functions.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail for data entry.
- Good organisation and time management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Ability to prioritise workload, multi-tasking with minimal supervision & adapting to changing priorities.
- A willingness to be flexible and adaptable to undertake a variety of different tasks.
- Experience of working with confidential/sensitive information.
- Ability to compile routine letters, e-mails and other correspondence.
- An excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- General administrative experience.
- Qualification in administration or equivalent experience.
- Taking minutes of meetings (shorthand/long-hand or laptop).
- Experience of working in Public Sector environment or similar.
- Experience of using IT system.
- Manual handling of objects up to 5kg, more than once a day.
- Display screen equipment user.
This post is subject to a Criminal Records Check. As such please note, we will take up references prior to interview.
Hampshire County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. We expect all employees, workers and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment.
Corporate Equalities Employment Policy: In order to combat indirect discrimination, no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied to any for achieving equality of opportunity in its employment practices. All sections of the population will have equal access to jobs. No applicant or employee will receive less favourable treatment because of their gender, disability, age, ethnic or national origin, marital status, creed, sexuality, trade union activity or responsibility for dependants unless a Genuine Occupational Qualification (GOQ) applies. In order to combat indirect discrimination, no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied to which would have a disproportionately adverse effect on any one group.