Your new role
Highways England are recruiting for Control Centre Traffic Officers, known internally as Regional Control Centre Operators to be based in the East Midlands, to help deliver a customer focused service through effective management of our strategic road network, by dealing with internal and external customers who are involved or impacted by incidents in an efficient and professional manner.
You will be required to work under pressure and respond quickly to incidents and coordinate communications between colleagues, partners and stakeholders and provide accurate and timely information, taking appropriate action to deal with any incident that impacts the flow of traffic.
Our Regional Control Centre’s operate 24/7, 365 days of the year, so our operators work 6 days on, 3 days off and shifts consist of Earlies (6am – 2pm), Lates (2pm – 10pm) and Night shifts (10pm – 6am)
The starting salary for the position is £ 25,800 (including shift allowance and retention).
What you’ll be leading on
• Take personal responsibility for the safety of yourself and others by reporting and acting on any potentially unsafe activities or conditions on the network
• Provide a professional frontline service to external and internal customers by managing accurate and timely information and communicating with colleagues, partners, stakeholders and customers using a wide range of technologies including radio, incident management systems, telephone and written communications
• Using all appropriate technology to manage incidents on the strategic road network including CCTV, setting and managing the correct Highways England signs and signals. You will also be required to monitor several screens at one time
• Coordinate effective, safe and timely activities with on-road crews, partners and stakeholders to resolve incidents, open lanes and minimise congestion
• Communicate with emergency services
• Liaise with external parties to assist with restoring the network vehicle recovery
To be successful
• Working effectively with others as part of a team delivering an efficient customer service
• Able to accurately capture record and relay complex information using appropriate technology
• Experience of working within a Customer Service environment
• Computer Literate, Data Entry experience
• A good understanding of Health & Safety in the workplac
• Excellent communication skills and telephone manner
• Live within a 1 hour commute from the Regional Control Centre
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.
The number of jobs in each salary range for all:
Harper Recruitment Group
£30,000 per annum
more details »
John Ashley Recruitment
£65000/annum Company Car/Healthcare
more details »