This position is a key member of the global Product Development team who will lead the software development team and deliver projects in support of strategic company goals.
The Director of Software Engineering, Product Development is responsible for acquiring the requisite skillset within the software development team in support of current software initiatives as well as guiding company software needs into the future. This person will be responsible for leading design, implementation and validation of new software and improvements in support of our automation and TB business. The Director of Software Engineering will provide experienced and leadership in a manner that is consistent with the goals of Oxford Immunotec USA Inc., and in compliance with the Quality Management System.
Specific deliverables for the role include, but not limited to:
• Define and champion the company software strategy. Provide vision and leadership to the company on software development plans and best practices
• Lead the design, execution, and successful delivery of the highest impact organizational software development projects
• Devise regulatory pathway for software developed in conjunction with OI’s product portfolio
• Implement and support the framework and capabilities for continued software growth
• Ensure that software solutions are flexible and scalable to fit current and future automation plans
• Lead and mentor a team of software engineers, supporting employee growth and increased awareness and competence of software engineering best practices
• Manage day to day activities of software engineering team
• Identify and implement new features, update existing features and support continual improvement in reliability and performance of software solutions
• Ensure proactive communication with Automation and other functions within Product Development department, as well as program management, QA, QC, and commercial teams for delivery of software solutions
• Direct software rollout and upgrade process for optimal economic impact and delivery of automated solutions to meet customer needs
• Lead software design reviews toward installation, validation, and maintenance of software
• Act as a software thought leader and liaison between OI and external parties.
• Responsible for training internal and external customers in software capabilities and value
• Responsible for LIS interfacing
• Generate, recognize and protect know-how and IP arising from any Design and Development projects within the organization
• Responsible for development of software solutions in compliance to applicable standards and in accordance with our internal procedures and QMS
• Support Product Development department in coordinating and timely execution of development milestones, product launches, new product and process development, line extensions, and support of existing products.
• BS in Engineering or life sciences, preferably Biotechnology or Biochemistry, Master’s degree or higher preferred
• 8+ years of relevant work experience including software development;
• Minimum of 5 years leading software development activities
• Must have experience with laboratory automation software
• Previous experience in integrating laboratory equipment and LIS interfacing a plus
• Must have experience leading and delivering on complex interdepartmental projects
• Familiarity with Quality System concepts and global regulatory requirements
• Experience in program management an advantage Experience working with FDA-regulated products is strongly preferred
• Leadership capability including proven ability to identify trends and influence the direction of the organization
• Promotion of a work culture that ensures project delivery while recognizing and acknowledging achievements and growth of associates
• Requires analytical skills to plan, design, or enhance complex systems and programs, resolve problems requiring a comprehensive awareness of automation and scientific fields
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate a high degree of personal & professional initiative
• Problem solving ability - able to develop creative, practical solutions that meet business objectives
• Ability to work in a global, multicultural collaborative team environment
• Strong organizational management; able to manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Shows proactivity in identifying and then overcoming problems.
• Knows how their role fits in with the whole process
• Takes responsibility for delivering the required results to the required standards
• Acknowledges the importance of high standards and works to get things right first time every time
• Ability to travel up to 25% (domestic and international)
The physical demands described within the Overall Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers.
OI Competence Level
Foundation Level Essentials
• Working to Oxford Immunotec’s Company Values at all times
The number of jobs in each salary range for all: