Johnson Matthey have a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Process Engineer to provide process engineering support in the development and operation of new and existing research engineering and site utility equipment, spanning multiple Sectors and Business Units across Teesside and 3rd party sites.
Activities include process engineering design, process safety support, design & calculation approval, budget preparation, design, modification, commissioning, troubleshooting and optimisation of bespoke Research Engineering equipment.
· Provision of process engineering design for new research rigs and site infrastructure assets to deliver the capital programme for the business and improve operational efficiency.
· Checking & approval of process engineering calculations.
· Checking & approval of design calculations for safety critical equipment, ensuring full compliance with all relevant codes, EHS standards and Life Saving policies.
· Collaborating with and providing technical expertise to projects teams, technicians and customers during installation, commissioning, modification and troubleshooting of research engineering and site utility equipment.
· Leading process hazard assessments and other technical risk assessments (including LOPA & Area Classification).
· Provision of process support for site infrastructure (including gas storage & distribution systems, steam supply systems, and a mixed gas compressor house).
· Leadership of LEAN projects on the Teesside Sites.
· Provision of process risk management advice to the Teesside sites and the wider Johnson Matthey business.
· Development & approval of design & process risk management standards.
· Design, review & approval of pressure relief systems.
· Provision of technical input as part of the Emergency Response Team in the event of a Major Incident.
Are you the ideal candidate?
The ideal candidate will have a strong engineering degree (2:1 or higher) and be or working towards being a Chartered Chemical Engineer. We are looking for someone who is self- motivated, a great communicator and has the ability to understand the balance between deadlines and accuracy. You will also ideally demonstrate:
· Experience of operations & engineering at the R&D & pilot plant scale.
· Experience of pressure relief design.
· Experience of Process Hazard Assessments, including HAZOP, PHR and LOPA.
· Experience of operating & commissioning equipment at the R&D & pilot plant scale.
About Johnson Matthey
Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
Efficient Natural Resources is an autonomous business, one of four sectors within Johnson Matthey, with revenues of circa £1 billion (circa £7 billion including precious metals) and operations worldwide.
Platinum Group Metal Services (PGMS) is one of four businesses within the Efficient Natural Resources Sector that manages, distributes, refines and recycles precious metals and fabricates products using precious metals and related materials. The business unit also manufactures platinum group metals, minor metal compounds, organometallics and fine metal powders for high technology applications, as well as providing a range of management services for platinum group metals.
PGMS has manufacturing operations in the UK, US and China and sells to key markets globally across Europe, the US and Asia.
How to apply:
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. A full job description is available on request from UKRecruit@matthey.com. If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online –
Closing date for applications: 2 February 2020
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.