IT Operations Patching Engineer (Linux) – 3 month Contract – Whiteley
The Global IT Operations department supports offices, networks and supply chain globally. The live services (over 450 servers) are predominantly operated from UK and Guernsey, development and test services (over 1,500 servers) are operated from Whiteley, with some services based in the Cloud.
A highly specialist role that is primarily responsible for providing technical expertise in the discovery, setup, execution and reporting for patching our Linux estate.
Due to the nature of the operational role, a flexible approach to working hours maybe required in this demanding working environment.
- Responsible for the discovery, setup, execution and reporting for patching our Linux estate.
- RedHat Network (RHN)
- Should be aware of all patching issues related to Redhat
- Virtualisation Technologies.
- Knowledge of Security and vulnerabilities.
- Ensure that systems are tested after implementation – requires working with Application Support teams
- Automation of patching and reporting
- Should highlight 'Risk' areas
- Manage and update documentation
- Planning and carry out changes aligned to Change Management best practice.
Skills and Experience
- RedHat Network (RHN)
- Understanding of core IT technologies.
- Excellent working knowledge Linux operating systems.
- Experience with Virtualisation technologies, VMware & Azure
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Clear and professional communication skills.
- Ability to prioritise work and deliver to deadlines.
- Ability to work flexibly under pressure and use own initiative.
- Able to build, develop and maintain relationships across the business.
- Enthusiastic, inquisitive, self-motivating and willing to take the initiative.
- Organised and methodical in approach to all aspects of the role.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Natural team player with desire to encourage interaction and integration.
- Knowledge of patching Solaris (Unix) based systems
- Practical experience of Data Backup and Recovery concepts.
- Knowledgeable database administration in Oracle, MySql, MS SQL or Progress.
- Practical experience of storage technologies, e.g., SAN, NAS.
- A knowledge of IT methodologies such as ISO27001 or PCI.
- Working knowledge of Security Best Practice'