Responsible for the day to day running of the Virtual Environment for our customer – Ensuring the infrastructure and all its components are running and are working as expected.
Ensure all operating systems within the VMware infrastructure are in operation during business core hours (9am-5pm) and support those critical servers defined as 24*7 within the service catalogue as part of an on-call rota for OOH support.
Assist business units with technical issues in the initiation and planning phases. These activities may include the definition of needs, benefits and technical strategy; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out Wintel/Unix / VMware solutions.
Day to day activity will primarily be with
VMware - Infrastructure - Full Esxi and Virtual machine management
Windows - Full OS support of windows operating system from 2008 to 2016
UNIX - Full OS support of redhat/oracle linux from version 6.x to 7.x
Storage - hp 3par / emc vnx / hp p2000's / p4500s - managing various storage arrays helping us get to a end goal of a new simplfied storage array
Candidate must be highly experience with all 4 technologies – if one of them is not met that is ok – it can be learned – but they need to be strong with vmware / windows and be able to perform os checks on unix servers and manage storage devices.
- Writing documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for team support knowledgebase.
- Controlling access permissions and privileges
- Working closely with IT project managers, database programmers and other technical staff
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- Designing maintenance procedures and putting them into operation
- Defining objectives through consultation with staff at all levels
- Troubleshooting system and network problems, diagnose and solve hardware/software incidents/problems
- Provide support to the business
- Provide solution(s)/work around(s) to Incidents and Problems
- Create, manage and evolve polices, processes and procedures
- Install, maintain and support new applications and infrastructure
- Work to SLA thresholds for Incident(s), Request(s) and Problem(s)
- Prioritising and managing several open cases and mini projects at one time
- Establishing a good working relationship with the business and 3rd party support personnel
- Testing, evaluating and implementation of new technology
- Keep up to date with advancements in technology
- Prove exceptional technology driven leadership skills, cross training and mentoring.
- Review of services, application delivery, patching and antivirus
- Willingness to travel on occasion
- Ensure appropriate standards and procedures are adhered to during the development process to support a quality deliverable to Bell Integration
- Work with a variety of business and technical contacts to gain a detailed understanding of their requirements
- Systems monitoring
- Supporting Users on hardware application
- Patching servers
- Performance monitoring IT infrastructure
- Maintain security infrastructure including antivirus software, and various other agent endpoints
- Administer Active Directory including Group Policies
- Administer and monitor virtual server infrastructure
- Build new servers
- Network trouble shooting, TCP/IP and general WAN/ LAN trouble shooting
- Multiple OS level exposure
- Considerable experience in administering VMware Infrastructure including HA, DRS
- KNOWLEDGE: All-rounder in infrastructure –storage / network / virtualisation / hardware
- SKILLS: A good troubleshooting mentality, able to communicate well and to get views across, good listener.