6 years +
Agriculture & Estates
Birketts is a full service, top 100 UK law firm, operating in Cambridge, Chelmsford, Ipswich, Norwich and the surrounding areas.
With a rich heritage spanning over 150 years we’ve built an enviable track record advising businesses, institutions and individuals in the UK and internationally.
Throughout our history our ethos has remained simple: we provide clear legal advice and value and insight to our clients.
We set out to truly understand our clients’ needs and help realise their ambitions.
We believe that through this approach and a combination of technical excellence and high quality service we can develop long-lasting partnerships and become our clients' solicitor of choice.
The Agriculture and Estates team at Birketts is one of the largest specialist legal units in the UK operating in this niche area of the law. The team advises both UK and international clients on all aspects of UK legislation affecting rural real estate investment - including farm acquisitions and disposals, planning issues, tax advice, investment in equestrian and rural estate, rights of way and environmental liabilities.
Awarded 'Private Client Regional Law Firm of the Year 2018 and 2017' and Legal 500 'Top Tier' 2019 and 'Top Ranked' Chambers 2019.
1. Sales and acquisitions of agricultural property and land (including options, overages and pre-emption agreements);
2. Agricultural tenancies;
3. Sporting and fishing rights;
4. Banking and re-financing;
5. Residential conveyancing and tenancy advice based on farm/estate;
6. Business structures and joint venture/collaborative agreements;
7. Diversification issues;
8. Succession planning;
9. To work with the wider Private Client and tax teams advising on:
1. wills, trust planning and probate matters
2. Tax advice in relation to IHT, SDLT, ER, CGT and VAT
10. Renewable energy schemes
11. Basic payment scheme, agri-environment and ELMS scheme issues.
* A willingness and ability to help the team grow by helping with the organisation and attending networking events and business development projects;
* An ability to market services internally to colleagues.
* An ability to supervise and advance juniors within the team.
* Reviewing and managing your team/employee competencies and training needs to enable them to perform their role effectively within the information security space;
* Ensuring that your team/ employees are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of information security objectives.
* Partner/Director/Managers have the authority to arrange training and awareness activities for the employees under their direction, within budget constraints and act to prevent an information security incident from occurring or escalating, where possible.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate 6 years PQE + Agriculture/Property practice and client following/contacts, most likely gained through a training contract with a well-regarded regional, city or national firm.
Competitive salary and benefits including pension scheme, private medical
insurance, permanent health insurance, life assurance, holiday from 30 days (prorata),
cycle to work scheme and childcare vouchers.
The information provided in relation to PQE is provided for guidance only and will not
be determinative in the recruitment decision.
We are committed to recruiting individuals on merits of suitability for each role, on the basis of qualifications and experience. All applications are treated fairly and equally regardless of sexual orientation, race, disability, religious beliefs and any other protected characteristic, ensuring that there are equal opportunities at all stages of the recruitment process.