Changing the way the world thinks about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management
Help us make a difference as a Business Manager in Norwich
A quick look at the role.
We’re on the hunt for a Business Manager to ensure the operation of the staff and resources employed on the Contract is fulfilled to the satisfaction of both the Client and the Company whilst remaining within the constraints of financial targets and Company procedures. Ensuring health and safety, environmental and operator licence compliance won’t simply be your bread and butter, it needs to be your passion. Along with delivering first-class customer service and cultivating an environment where continuous improvement is the norm, not the exception.
The Biffa division you’ll be supporting
Biffa’s household waste division delivers a range of cost-efficient, quality-led waste management services for 31 local authorities across the UK. With over 3,300 staff and around 1,562 specialist vehicles, our domestic waste management division makes 4.3 million collections each week from over 2.3 million households across Britain.
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Work alongside like-minded waste professionals in a brilliantly diverse environment built on transparency – not bureaucracy.
- A chance to showcase your ability to meet clearly defined KPIs and drive best practice and continuous improvement in cost control and productivity.
- Ensure all budgets are achieved and weekly Key Performance Indicators are met highlighting any variances and action plans to redress.
- Play an integral role in the development of drivers and staff, creating an environment where everyone can excel.
- An opportunity to monitor, manage and co-ordinate all depot-based resources to ensure an increase in operational productivity and service standards.
- Set and agree clear objectives with all operational staff, regularly monitoring their performance and taking corrective action where appropriate.
- An opportunity to push yourself to meet key targets, shape new practices and define the strategy of the depot.
- A chance to join a forward-thinking, industry leader that openly welcomes self-driven individuals who are unafraid to question convention
- Management of service changes and subsequent smooth running of the Contract to the Client’s satisfaction.
- Responsible for internal and external reporting of contract KPIs such as performance, monthly financial reports, weekly KPIs etc.
Here’s what we require:
- Extensive experience as Operations Manager (or similar level of responsibility in services or logistics).
- The ability to work within a commercially driven and time-critical environment.
- Experience of people and health and safety management within a unionised and multi-shift environment.
- Profit and Loss experience and strong financial acumen
- Extensive understanding of the waste industry and relevant laws including a CPC qualification (desirable)
- Knowledge of existing and impending environmental and health and safety legislation including an IOSH Certificate or equivalent formal safety qualification
- Strong knowledge of the local area.
- Able to demonstrate managing sizeable workforces (50 plus employees)
- Proven history of managing multi skilled and unionised workforces
- Proven track record of delivering continuous improvement within an operational environment.
- The ability to communicate with conviction, plan with precision and, most importantly, play well with others.
- Minimum GCSE (or equivalent) in English and Maths, however A-Levels or a Degree certainly won’t do any harm.
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Medical and dental scheme.
- Retail and leisure discounts.
- Holiday and travel discounts.
- Bike to work scheme
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.