EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in the UK, France, Italy and Belgium. We're the UK’s largest producer of low-carbon electricity, the biggest supplier of electricity by volume in Great Britain, the largest supplier to British businesses and we employ more than 13,000 people. We operate nuclear, coal and gas power stations, wind farms, and combined heat & power plants. We have a focus on safe, dependable energy generation and an ethos of service excellence. We are playing a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK to secure a bright future for the combined business and its employees.
Shift Trader, East Croydon, Starting for £45,600 + benefits
Wholesale Markets Optimisation is responsible for managing the gas and electricity energy needs of our residential and business customers and for managing the needs of the Generation fleet. The activities include modelling and analysis, demand forecasting, portfolio hedging, short term optimisation and Generation liaison.
The Portfolio Operations team manages all hedging and dispatch operations across the Customers and Generation portfolio. They are a business critical operational team, responsible for ensuring that all wholesale market activity is carried out in accordance with the Risk Mandate, maximising value within risk limits.
The Shift Trader will be responsible for ensuring:
- The value of EDF Energy’s margin teams is maintained;
- The portfolio is optimised to the benefit of EDF Energy as a whole;
- The Shift Trading Team works with the margin teams to ensure that the prompt hedging strategies are executed;
- Adherence to the controls, processes and procedures to maintain a compliant position;
- Individual/team welfare and performance during the shift
The Shift Trader is responsible for working in a team to maximise, within agreed risk limits, the value of the EDF Energy's power and gas positions in the spot and prompt market. Operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week the Shift Trader is required to work a shift rota which includes working weekends, bank holidays and overnights. A number of day secondment opportunities are available within the team, where project work and further optimisation of the prompt position will be undertaken.
The Shift Trading Team comprises c.13 shift traders with 2 normally on the desk at any one time. The team are responsible for all the out of hours communication to the assets, including facilitating the off-take agreement to Centrica for Existing Nuclear; re-optimisation of the flexible assets; trading power and gas in the prompt and management of the portfolio through to delivery and ensuring that all of EDF Energy’s gas and power license conditions are upheld.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified with a numerate degree or with appropriate equivalent experience
- Proven ability to operate with integrity and confidence, interpreting complex/incomplete information and able to make considered commercial decisions under tight deadlines
- Strong team player with ability to communicate effectively
- Strong ability to demonstrate initiative, influencing skills and mentoring of trainee traders
- Experience of working in energy optimisation or shift trading environment advantageous
Technical/Commercial Knowledge and Skills
- Strong numerical, analytical and IT skills
- Track record of accurate, high quality work
- Coding languge skills (such as Python, VBA or similar) advantageous
- Strong commercial aptitude with knowledge of UK energy markets advantageous
We’re proud to be an inclusive, disability confident employer and recognise the importance of employee well-being, and although these roles are advertised on a full-time basis as standard, flexible working arrangements will be considered.
We’re about the people who work with us and we celebrate their diversities and embrace the value that their differences bring. We believe that a culture of inclusion forms the basis of a truly sustainable business and is vital to shaping a strong and fresh-thinking organisation, with a number of employer networks and benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Recruiting from the widest possible pool of talent, we assess every potential employee against our four key behaviours – Integrity, Inclusion, Inspiration and Impact. We make sure that our workforce is a true reflection of our communities and customers. Their unique perspectives not only give us a better understanding of customers from all walks of life, but bring fresh ideas too.
Competitive Salary + Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a defined benefit pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn bonus.
These roles are advertised on a full-time/part-time basis as standard with the opportunity to discuss flexible working arrangements.