Job Profile Summary
We have an opportunity in the Product Development team, Advanced Technology Products (ATP) for an Expert Technologist, Emerging Specs.
**This position can be based in either the UK, Pangbourne or in the US in Wayne NJ, the role is being offered on local terms and conditions. This is not an expatriate or international assignment role**Job advert Job Purpose
The Expert Technologist is Accountable to the Platforms Manager for delivery of OD&I projects according to latest business priorities. The role will provide expert advice to the technologists conducting these projects that design and develop new lubricant products and test methods, and to provide strategic advice on future development direction.
The new products and methods are required to meet the changing demands of global markets and to provide opportunities to differentiate the performance of BP's products from its competitors.
The role holder will be required to have extensive interaction with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. Key Accountabilities
Essential Skills & Experience
- To deliver new products to the Platform OD&I Managers according to the agreed in-year matrix of resource allocation to OD&I projects
- Source, investigate and develop relevant technologies for the development team, having the vision to recognise long term value opportunities
- Operating as a subject matter expert, networking with other experts and operational staff within the technology function to support the delivery of projects, these networks include product: testing, deployment, quality, stewardship, intellectual assets, research and compliance.
- Building effective networks outside of the technology function to include: suppliers of goods and services, technical consultancies, OEMs, BP marketing, BP Legal, Global Supply Chain. BP Procurement
- Providing technical and strategic leadership by coaching and directing the work of less experienced colleagues.
- Develop and share expertise to facilitate continuous improvement within the Development Team
- Manage intellectual property associated with the projects - secrecy agreements, patents, etc.
- Support the ATP Digital Strategy via the collection, storage and use of data from technology projects in order to reduce project timelines and minimize test costs. Champion application of digital tools which reduce project timelines, minimize test costs or enrich technical knowledge
- Manage S&OR risks according to BP's processes and performance metrics
- Demonstrate keen understanding of Industry guidelines and their application to enable execution of qualification programs that deliver componentry and new products meeting best in class quality standards
- Degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Engineering or related technical discipline, with a Masters/PhD qualification preferred
- Proven broad experience of fuel or lubricant development, automotive engineering development or product research and technology, with specific expertise as required by the role
- Track record of building and maintaining external technical relationships in the industry for future OEM/spec insights
- Demonstrate a collaborative approach to working
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Provide evidence of designing novel work programmes and delivery within structured project management processes