ePac Flexible Packaging is focused solely on the quick turn-around, short-run flexible packaging market. With multiple locations across the USA and now moving to the UK and Europe, ePac offers pre-media, digital printing, laminating, and pouch making services based on state-of-the-art digital printing. ePac is the first company ever to be developed from the ground up around the latest wide-web digital printing technology. ePac is built to harness the full power of digital technology, today and in the future.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Pouch Operator sets up and operates pouch making machines that convert laminated films into pouches that meet or exceed customer quality specifications by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure personal compliance with all company Quality System, Operational, and Human Resource policies, procedures, and practices, including Safety and housekeeping procedures.
- Reads job specifications and previous run data (if available) to determine machine adjustments and material requirements. Ensures job is in order prior to machine set-up.
- Sets stops or guides to specified length as indicated
- Keeps work area clean.
- Observes machine operation to detect workpiece defects or machine malfunction. Makes corrections to alleviate out of specification product.
- Measures workpiece dimensions to determine accuracy of machine operation.
- Performs required quality testing on products produced, i.e. burst test, drop test, water table test, etc.
- Performs minor machine maintenance such as changing zipper cloth, dies, seal bars and punches.
- Assists and works cooperatively with assistant machine operators to stack, mark, pack, and transport finished boxes.
- Completes required documentation accurately and timely.
- Meets or exceeds prescribed job standard for line speeds, scrap and set-up times.
- Reports any necessary maintenance of the machine to the engineering department using a written work order.
- Reports any unsafe working conditions to the production supervisor.
- Participates in on-going training opportunities and supports a continuous quality improvement environment.
- Review work instructions and procedures that are applicable to the position.
- Other duties as assigned by management and supervisors.
- Perform changeovers
- Perform PM's on equipment
- Make recommendations to supervision and management for improvement of production in terms of efficiency and workflow
- Maintain production reports
- Oversee daily performance of Pouch Assistant functions
- Change rolls and cut out splices
- Quality Control checks and data entry
- Trash and trim removal
NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Could be asked to support other parts of the operations including press assistant, slitting, and lamination
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Possess and foster a positive attitude of learning and respect
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written directions
- Ability to take ownership of work and also work as part of a team
- Strong verbal communications skills
- Visual acuity to colour consistency
- Manual coordination and dexterity
- Ability to use basic hand tools
- Manual coordination and dexterity while utilizing hand tools, cleaning equipment
- Be able to work safely around operating machinery
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Basic knowledge of flexible packaging films a plus
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must be flexible in work schedule.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is around, moving mechanical parts and vibration
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- ePac believes in a collaborative and cross-trained workforce and encourage all employees to learn all facets of production. This role will have the ability to learn and train on operational functions throughout the plants.