Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Shift Engineer - Secondary Lining to join our Major Projects team to work in Hinkley Marine Works.
- Managing safety issues on shift including briefings and tool box talks;
- Supervise the SCL/TBM/Secondary Lining shift works;
- Supervise and manage all aspects of quality control with the SCL/TBM/Secondary Lining Tunnels;
- Weekly working rotating 8-hour shift pattern Monday to Sunday, Days, Backs and Nights.
What you'll be doing
As a Shift Engineer - Secondary Lining you will:
- Report on the programme on a weekly basis;
- Ensure that materials, plant and equipment are ordered and managed as required by the Section Engineer;
- Planning and programming of the works as required by the Section Engineer;
- Supervision of tunnel shift gang;
- Maintain good working relations with client / designer, together with our supply chain;
- Ensure that the drawings and specification documents contain sufficient, accurate information for construction of the works. Formally request any missing information in sufficient time to allow the programme to proceed without delay;
- Provide accurate and clear setting out for works before work is programmed to commence, allowing time for independent checking where required;
- Communicate with foremen and gangers to ensure full understanding of information provided;
- Arrange formal checking of setting out and ensure check request form is completed;
- Confirm in writing, on the same day, any verbal instructions received from the client;
- Complete inspection and test plans as required by the Project Management Plan/Specification, including checks of dimension accuracy and quality;
- Input tunnelling construction data into the Tunnel Information Management system and liaise with the client representatives to ensure hold points are signed-off accordingly;
- Liaise with all the other tunnel shift engineers to ensure the Tunnel Control Room is occupied at all times during TBM/SCL/Secondary Lining tunnelling activity.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Experience in face logging (for SCL works);
- Experience in SCL/TBM/Secondary Lining;
- Experience of shift work preferable;
- Government legislation and Company policy on all matters relating to safety and environment;
- Thorough knowledge of construction procedures and working methods;
- Knowledge of the procedures and methods for testing site materials, understanding the requirements of any laboratory, and have the ability to perform the role of testing engineer;
- Understand specified tolerances for work activities in progress;
- Complete detailed checklists for each work activity, if required;
- Ability to interpret drawings correctly and check for error.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
From wind farms to railways, through tunnels and over bridges; our design and construction teams have been successfully delivering complex projects for over 100 years.
We have a proven record of delivering and managing tailor-made infrastructure and construction schemes for each of our customers. Our recent schemes have included the London 2012 Aquatics Centre, Heathrow Airport's Terminal 2B, Whitelee Windfarm and the White City Development Substation.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.