Changing the way the world thinks about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull.
And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management.
Help us make a difference as a Chargehand based from our depot in Maidstone.
A quick look at the role.
The Chargehand will be working under the direction of the Business Manager / Supervisor for the planning, control and supervision of staff and resources including all vehicles, plant, equipment and sub-contractors.
The Biffa division you’ll be supporting.
With 3,391 staff and around 1,562 specialist vehicles, our domestic waste management division makes 4.3 million collections each week from over 2.3 million households across Britain
Here’s what we require:
- Plan and organise daily Compliance tasks, arranging Toolbox Talks, Crew Checks, 25% vehicle Checks, SHE Alerts, Driver assessments and Induction programs.
- Ensure that all staff completes accurately, all relevant documentation – driver defect reports, work schedules, time sheets, driver hours and additional work instructions.
- Maintain high standards of contractor/client liaison.
- Induct all new employees as per Company procedures and contract standards.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of their responsibilities under the H&S at Work Act and all other work related legislation. Complete the defined responsibilities as per the company’s Health & safety system for this position.
- To maintain all records and systems for the effective operation of the contract.
- To assist the Company in achieving its published Business Objectives and complying with all procedures in line with the ISO system.
- Keep accurate stock records of materials and supplies to ensure smooth running of operation.
- Deputise for Contract Supervisor as required.
- Hold a valid UK Driving licence and LGV Licence
- Experience of stock control and related issues
- Be a team-player
- Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
- Ability to delegate, train, lead and monitor workforce.
- Experience of planning workload, holidays, and scheduling
- Have a basic knowledge of Health and Safety Policy & Procedures
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written including IT.
- Be calm, assertive and confident, show sympathy as required
- Pay attention to detail
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.