Head of Finance - Qualified
£45,000 to £50,000
Generous company pension, on-site parking, travel discounts and subsidised meals.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, the Head of Finance will lead the accounting team. This consists of 5 finance staff in various roles and includes the payroll function. Based at Head Office in Kidderminster, responsible for all financial and associated reporting, budgeting, forecasting and business planning.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing and delivering the annual Budget for the Railway
- Producing management information for the Board and managers
- Providing financial input into commercial plans and decision making
- Attending Board meetings to present and explain monthly management information
- Participating and providing financial input into relevant committees
- Leadership of the finance team
- Managing the Finance Team Leader in general ledger, purchase ledger, sales ledger and payroll
- Developing the Pegasus Opera Accounting System and other accounting processes.
- Developing the use and functionality of the EPOS system
- Dealing with shareholder correspondence and liaison with Company Registrars
- Any other applicable duties as required
- Establishing robust financial planning, monitoring and reporting to deliver on all significant SVR projects on time and to budget
- Preparation of Annual Report and Financial Statements
- Timely, accurate financial reporting, reviewing and forecasting
- Driving system and process improvements resulting in improved management information and cost savings
- Supervising the Finance Team in preparation of monthly management information, yearend returns, preparation and filing of monthly VAT returns and payroll services
- Developing capacity and capability of the Finance Team
- General Manager
- Senior Managers
- Volunteer Managers
- Chairman of Holdings Board and Board and Committee members
- External Pension Advisor
- Legal advisers
- Bank Manager
- Funding Agencies
- Professional communications skills – written and verbal
- Supervision, leadership and motivation of staff at all levels
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively across several teams and with external partners
- Ability to take the initiative, act independently, identify priorities, and balance conflicting demands.
- Advanced computer skills including use of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and Teams
- Good organisational and personal time management
- Strategic thinking, planning and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to work under time pressures
Qualifications, knowledge and experience required
- Experience of leading and developing a Finance Team
- Experience in a senior financial managerial position with a proven record of success
- Experience of working across complex team structures
- Professional accounting qualification ie CCAB –qualified accountant
- Familiarity with specific accounting software (Pegasus, Opera 3)
The Severn Valley Railway is a full-size standard-gauge railway line, running regular, mainly steam-hauled, passenger trains between Kidderminster in Worcestershire and Bridgnorth in Shropshire, a distance of approximately sixteen miles.
A remarkable feature of the Railway is that it is very largely run by unpaid volunteers, with a paid staff of around 150 people responsible for administration and commercial activities, plus regular track and rolling stock maintenance.
Through the year, volunteers appear on the Railway to perform many tasks, including repairing and repainting stations, reconstruction of viaducts and bridges, and rebuilding locomotives and rolling stock, not to mention operating the trains.
Initial interviews will be held on 2 July 2020.