Competitive salary and benefits package, including 25 days holiday and pension
Do you want your work to make a difference? Do you enjoy being part of an inclusive team where respect for people is a priority? Then Sweco is the place to be. Working within the Transportation business unit, we are seeking a talented and motivated Senior Bridge Engineer with a strong technical background to lead and deliver bridge, marine and highway related structural projects in the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
In this role you're core duties and responsibilities will be:
- To ensure that the technical content of all work carried out is correct and in accordance with agreed timescales and within agreed budgets.
- To ensure that all work is carried out in full compliance with the Company's Integrated Management Systems.
- To be able to take on significant elements of the detailed structural design personally.
- To provide technical guidance and training to junior staff and to assist in the mentoring and development of junior staff working towards Chartered Status.
- To be capable of working independently using your own initiative, with minimal supervision.
- To be capable of leading a team of designers and technicians in project delivery.
- Undertaking the role of project manager on small to medium sized projects following the Sweco Project Management Framework.
- To prepare feasibility studies and options reports.
- To assist in the tendering process, including the preparation of bottom up fee builds.
- To be able to work in close collaboration with team members of other disciplines and have an appreciation of their role.
- To be successful in this role, you will need to possess:
- Significant recent experience of the design of highway structures ideally within a Design & Build environment.
- Conversant with Eurocodes and the general principles of structural engineering as these relate to bridges in particular and structures in general.
- Should be fully conversant with bridge modelling and computer assisted analysis techniques (LUSAS, Autodesk Structural Bridge Design, STRAP experience preferred, but not essential).
- A good working knowledge of MS Excel, MS Project and AutoCAD; recent experience of ProjectWise is desirable.
- The ability to communicate in a fluent and positive manner with other team members and to produce reports in clear English.
- Sound knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges.
- Preferable knowledge of the Scotland Excel Framework.
- Commercial awareness with a key focus on managing resources and budgets on a project basis.
- A working knowledge of NEC3 PSC and ICE forms of contract.
- Sound awareness of contractual matters in the terms of service provision, the preparation of contract documents and previous site supervision experience.
Professional Membership and Qualifications:
- Chartered CEng status with either the Institution of Civil Engineers or the Institution of Structural Engineers.
- A recognised academic qualification.
- Ability to work on own initiative and seek assistance when required.
- Able to project a professional image and develop strong Client relationships.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload for self and others to ensure that timescales are met.
- Good problem solving/contingency planning skills with ability to find quick, innovative and practical solutions.
- Take responsibility for personal development and enable and support the learning of others.
- Effective negotiation and persuading skills, able to manage and diffuse challenging situations.
- Able to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships with colleagues, clients and contractors.
- Able to recognise own impact on others and adapt approach where appropriate.
- Able to lead a team in the delivery of projects and effective collaboration with clients and contractors to develop designs for projects.
- Demonstrate pride in work, through accurate timely delivery.
What's in it for you?
An open and friendly environment where colleagues are encouraged to grow and develop. A meaningful job where you'll help to develop and shape tomorrow's communities by being a trusted consultant to our customers. We are always open to a conversation around flexible working.
If you believe you have the skill set required, are keen to join a business with genuine opportunities for career progression, then we'd love to hear from you.
More about us …….
Approachable and committed people are the core our business. Serving our customers in challenging projects is part of our daily work. Continuous development of your expertise is not an option but a requirement.
Sweco plans and designs the communities and cities of the future. Our work produces sustainable buildings, efficient infrastructure and access to electricity and clean water. With 14,500 employees in Europe, we offer our customers the right expertise for every situation. We carry out projects in 70 countries annually throughout the world. Sweco is the leading engineering and architecture consultancy in Europe, with sales of approximately SEK 16.0 billion (EUR 1.7 billion) (pro forma 2015). The company is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.
Sweco is committed to achieving equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.