Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!We at the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) are working with two commercial partners, forming the Dreadnought Alliance. We are a newly formed alliance bringing together the collective capabilities of the SDA, BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce to ensure the Dreadnought Programme delivers four submarines, at an estimated whole life cost of £31 billion, with the first one ready for patrol in the early 2030s.
The Royal Navy’s Submarine Service has operated the UK’s Nuclear Deterrent every hour of every day for nearly 50 years, protecting our nation from the most extreme threats. The Submarine Delivery Agency are now recruiting for extraordinary people to help deliver the UK’s next generation of ballistic missile submarines – The Dreadnought Class.
The primary responsibility of the Dreadnought Alliance is the development and delivery of the SSBN Dreadnought Programme. The SDA is looking for a Programme Manager to take ownership and lead the Site Redevelopment Programme (SRP) within this. The SRP programme is a circa £1bn programme, developing production facilities across the ship yard to provide modern construction facilities to support the timely and cost effective delivery of the Dreadnought Programme. You would be the contract delivery manager for the facilities work packages within the BAES contract which includes completion of Barrow facilities.
As part of this vital role, you will manage highly complex projects and address unpredictable, complex issues without precedent, shaping acquisition strategy and aligning it to organisational vision.
• Accountability for establishing, leading and managing high performing multi-disciplinary teams and setting strategic direction across all Functions to deliver agreed outcomes
• Champion project management, its processes and tools
• Deliver projects within performance/cost/time envelope for a portfolio or highly complex project
• Ensure the most cost effective and efficient means of delivery, whilst mitigating risk and leveraging opportunities
• Support the development of governance and standard practice, ensuring appropriate challenge to status quo and gain approval to deviate when necessary
• Formal acceptance of the contracted deliverables for their scope of supply
• Assuring the overall performance against the project scope of supply (including reporting requirements and risk management).
• Establishing processes to set, change (within delegations), and hold the Parties to account against the Alliance-controlled baseline for the BAES Facilities scope of supply.
• Monitoring and authorising (above a threshold) baseline Change to known key dependencies (e.g. completion of integration activity).
• Identifying, monitoring, and challenging BAES Facilities on their management of known issues, risks, and opportunities within their scope.
• Authorising (within delegations) / recommending to the Alliance PD the commitment of risk funding against identified issues, risks, or opportunities.
• Support the Alliance PD in preparing for Alliance Management Reviews (e.g. providing commentary on information from Alliance Project Controls and requesting further analysis) and other governance forums, in respect of BAES Facilities scope.
• Managing in-year spend to the relevant control total for their project scope
• Generating an annual budget cycle (ABC) for their project scope
• Champion career management and proactively support the wider development of the PM community
• Lead the construction of the Performance Measurement Baseline for the project
In addition to the above responsibilities, The SDA require a person who displays strong leadership behaviours who will have a passion for driving the performance of the Facilities team and the Alliance in general. You must have the ability to work collaboratively, keep things simple and remove complexity, setting simple, tangible priorities and communicating with clarity, brevity and simplicity. You will be accountable for championing an open, honest and no blame culture. You must have strong interpersonal skills at working and board room level.
In order to be successful you must have:
• Significant project management experience, with a proven track record of successful delivery of relevant facilities construction projects, including pro-active risk and opportunity management.
• Proven track record of utilising best practice methodologies in the successful execution of programme delivery (i.e. be an experienced practitioner of principles, methods, techniques and tools for programme and change management).
• Must be able to achieve delivery results by influencing others through exemplary communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must be a personable, pro-active professional, able to demonstrate full commitment to exceptional customer care and service in all activities.
• Demonstrates strong people management skills, stimulating creative and innovative thinking from team members while helping them to bring their ideas and career plans to fruition.
• Educated to degree level or with equivalent experience.
It will be beneficial to have any of the following:
• Submarine enterprise experience across multiple platform systems
• MAPM, ChPP or RPP, relevant Post-Graduate qualification i.e. MSc (Project Management), MPLA or PLP
• Nuclear Build Experience
Please note this post is open to Sole UK Nationals only.
Please note that you may be considered for similar positions at the level below the advertised role.
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with plenty of opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service on or after 5 October 2018 may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About SDA and your team
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1400 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
The Project Management Function provides a pipeline of project professionals to deliver our complex programme of work. The breadth of what our Project Managers do, means a career with us gives you a fantastic level of variety and a genuine ability to develop your project management career. From developing the nation’s future submarines to acquiring armoured vehicles, our work is at the forefront of fast-paced, cutting-edge project delivery.Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' attached or click here
This role offers successful applicants the following:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000.
Internal Applicants: Internal candidates will be eligible for full relocation expenses.Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV which clearly demonstrates the following areas (which you will be assessed against):
• Key Achievements
• Career History
• Applied Skills, Knowledge & Experience
For additional guidance on writing a CV for DE&S, please click here
Firstly we’ll check that you meet the essential criteria that are listed for the role. If you do then we’ll carry out a more detailed review of your CV to see if your qualifications and experience are a good match for the role. If you’re successful, we’ll invite you to an interview so you can meet us, discuss your CV and your career history. We’ll also check that you demonstrate the motivations and behaviours aligned to our DE&S Behaviours.
Gattaca are the recruitment partner for DE&S and the SDA. Matchtech are a subsidiary of Gattaca. By sending your CV to Gattaca you agree that Gattaca / Matchtech can use your details for the purposes of recruitment at DE&S and SDA only.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Open to UK nationals only.The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.