Help us improve access to life-changing therapies that can transform human health
We are Cytiva, a global provider of technologies and services that advance and accelerate the development and manufacture of therapeutics. Formally part of GE Healthcare, we have a rich heritage tracing back hundreds of years, and a fresh beginning since 2020.
Our customers undertake life-saving activities. These range from fundamental biological research to developing innovative vaccines, biologic drugs, and novel cell and gene therapies. Our job is to supply the tools and services they need to work better, faster and safer, leading to better patient outcomes.
We are looking for a Labour & Employee Relations Manager - Europe to work with our other L&ER Leaders reporting to the Labour & Employee Relations Leader. Do you have a passion for employee relations, driving a cultural transformation and positive engagement? Then we would love to hear from you.
Please note, the preferred location for this role is the UK, but we are also open to other European locations.
What you'll do
- The key responsibilities of this role will be to deliver an effective case management service, balancing legal risk with the needs of the business. You will provide commercially focused expert advice in all aspects of Employee Relations including union relations, establishment and management of a European Works Council, Works Council engagement, restructuring, redundancies and outsourcing; collective bargaining obligations; drafting of employment contracts/agreements; working time, workplace investigations, performance and conduct matters and termination of employment.
- You will provide clear interpretation of HR Policy to People Leaders and HR Leaders on a wide range of subjects including employee discipline, grievances, compliance concerns and termination and to train, develop and enhance employee relations capability.
- Establish and cost effectively manage outside counsel and employer association relationships (and budget) in region to support complex employment and labour matters including dispute resolution, litigation and significant change management projects.
- Provide advice, training and coaching on collective bargaining issues, pay negotiations, changes to terms and conditions of employment, policies, practices and procedures with significant focus on fair employment practices and compliance, creating high standards for people leadership and consistency for best practice.
- Manage a L&ER dashboard and provide meaningful insights to the business while driving continuous improvement. Provide insightful meaningful market data/trends that supports business growth and decision making.
- Case management tracking of employee relations issues in region, regular reporting and data analysis on case volume, trends and training needs in region.
- Develop programs and initiatives that will support strategic efforts to enhance employee relations across the region and map goals and engage key regional stakeholders to deploy training and other initiatives in an effective and sustainable way.
- Develop a toolkit to assist HR and business leaders (including templates, policies, guidance and training materials) to empower regional team.
- Build internal and external network for employee relations in region (with sector focus) to share knowledge and best practice.
- Work as part of the International team to drive simplification initiatives and consistent enterprise standards for Labour and Employee Relations across Europe.
- Keeping abreast of relevant legal developments across our European operations.
Who you are
Demonstrated experience of HR and/or Employee Relations leadership, ideally experience of managing Works Councils and European Works Councils, preferably including time spent both with a leading law firm and in-house with a large multinational corporation, that includes:
- Degree level qualification or equivalent and minimum five years employee relations experience
- Proven HR tactical and strategic experience and leadership across multiple regions.
- Extensive "hands-on" labour and employee relations and/or legal experience, including international experience; working with senior management and trade unions/Works Councils and in leading negotiations under collective bargaining frameworks and/or for significant change management projects.
- Established project management skills and ability to exercise good judgement and provide strategic and tactical advice - demonstrated willingness to support local teams on the development and execution of employee relations strategies.
- Superior advocacy skills, including the ability to effectively and efficiently communicate in writing and orally, an aptitude for practical negotiation, the capability to think clearly and quickly under pressure, and the composure to satisfy multiple and often competing interests.
- A strong commitment to integrity and professionalism, and passion for excellence.
- Ability to work across a heavily matrixed organisation and build relationships at all levels of the organisation.
- Legal background and training is an advantage but someone who has demonstrable experience working in an industrial/employee relations role with front line experience of change management, consultation and engagement and provision of case management advice on all aspects of employment cases would be welcomed.
- Demonstrable fluency in English, including ability to draft and negotiate and present legal and business documents in English.
- Superior negotiating skills and ability to work in complex international environment, substantial experience working in different cultures and an open and tolerant mind with respect to diversity.
- Demonstrable computer literacy with specific ability to use Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and other software such as redlining tools.
- Strong project management and prioritisation skills.
- Record of dedicated and successful teamwork, excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Willingness to travel to cover the European region to build strong relationships with the HR and Business Leadership team and partner effectively with local teams as business needs require.
Who we are
Whatever your role, we bring purpose and challenge into our everyday work. If you are driven to make the world a better place thanks to science and medicine, you will feel right at home here. If you're flexible, curious and relentless, you'll belong. If you are excited about a global culture, this can be the place to further your career.
Want to know more? Experience life at Cytiva on our Careers website, Instagram channel and LinkedIn page!
Cytiva is a 3.5 billion USD global life sciences leader with over 7000 associates across 40 countries who are dedicated to our mission to help us improve access to life-changing therapies that transform human health. As a trusted partner to customers that range in scale and scope. Cytiva brings efficiencies to research and manufacturing workflows, ensuring the development, manufacture and delivery of transformative medicines to patients.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. The "EEO is the Law" poster is available here.