Isotropic is seeking a Senior Hardware Design Engineer to support the team in the design and implementation of the control, management, and behaviour subsystems of its mobile and fixed tracking antenna terminals. The position reports to the Manager of Terminal Management. This role will be instrumental in developing the control and management systems of the satellite antenna terminal which is capable of multi beam satellite links, identification, acquisition, and tracking of using electronically steered antenna (ESA) technology and also hybrid electro-mechanically steered antenna terminals in mobile or fixed platform environments, including aeronautical, maritime, and land applications.
The role will focus on the hardware design of the terminal management subsystems including the embedded controller systems, navigation and location sensor system, Modem interface and terminal power systems. The candidate should have a good understanding of design for manufacturability and cost-effective designs for a wide range of applications from high end aeronautical to low cost consumer broadband terminals.
Due to the innovative nature of our technology, all engineers are expected to bring a high degree of creativity and problem-solving capability to search outside the box for new solutions to questions in the design, control, and operation of a cost-effective Satcom terminal.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, simulation, test and verification/validation of the hardware aspects of the terminal management subsystems
- Report on the daily activities of terminal management to deliver designs and products on time and on budget
- Deliver technology and products that meet performance, cost and quality metrics
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives in the areas of analysis, design, and performance of the terminal management subsystems within our terminal products
- Support the certification of products under electrical and operational standards
- Deliver multiple programs/products simultaneously and able to manage through times of conflicting and dynamic priorities
- Provide effective and efficient design support during the conceptual design, detailed design, integration, and test phases of a product development program, with the goal of achieving on-time and budget completion of assigned tasks
- Prepare and present design and analysis summary material during internal and external design reviews
- Contribute towards Company design procedures and corporate policies
- Other tasks, as assigned from time to time
- BEng, MEng, or Ph.D. in Electronics, Telecommunications or related Engineering discipline, or relevant equivalent industry experience
- 10+ years of industry experience in the field of electronics with involvement in hardware design, integration, testing, and troubleshooting
- Product life-cycle & product development experience
- Comprehensive understanding of TCP/IP networking, including security, QoS and traffic management
- Embedded systems knowledge and experience (ARM & Xilinx FPGA/SoC experience desirable)
- Familiarity and experience with Linux systems
- High speed digital design – experience with high speed serial bus design such as DDR, PCIe, PS-GTR etc.
- Experience with common serial communications standards and protocols such as Ethernet, Serial, SPI, I2C, etc.
- Experience with GPS and attitude/orientation sensor systems
- Design for CE, FCC compliance, Identifying applicable directives, defining test process and criteria, and producing/collating material for Technical Construction Files. Experience working with external test facilities/resources
- Experience deriving and defining detailed subsystem technical requirements from system/product level requirements
- Strong analytical skills - Experienced in writing analysis reports and summaries
- Strong experience with design verification and validation processes
- CAD - Schematic and PCB design experience (familiarity with Altium desired)
- Good interdepartmental communication skills and able to communicate with other disciplines such as Systems, Software, RF and Mechanical engineers
- Must have substantial problem-solving abilities
- Proficiency with industry standard scientific and engineering computing toolkits, languages, and packages
- Technically proficient in MS Office products
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge and experience of satellite communications and Satcom VSAT ground terminals will be a strong qualifying factor
- Understanding of communication systems
- Understanding of RF engineering
- Knowledge and experience of Software Defined Radio
- Understanding of Firmware/Software development, familiarity with C/C++/Python
- Multi-disciplined design experience – Systems, Electronic, Software & Mechanical
- Experience designing for government and defence applications
- Knowledge and experience designing for military standards such as MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-461
- Experience and proficiency with MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with UML
- Ability to communicate calmly in a well thought out response, verbal and written
- Interpersonal skills to effectively work with Isotropic staff internally as well as working effectively with suppliers and customers
- Ability to effectively present information in team meetings and design reviews as needed
- Ability to travel on request (not expected to exceed 20%).
- This position may be subject to interruptions that may cause a change in immediate priorities and/or work focus.
- May be subjected to occasional extended work hours
Isotropic Systems is a pre-revenue start-up, working on cutting edge technology in the satellite communications industry. There's a lot of hard work (and sometimes long hours) involved to get the job done. You'll do really well here if you have a great work ethic, are passionate about delivering innovation and want to be part of something truly groundbreaking.
We offer a highly competitive compensation package (salary, bonus and equity) and a culture that recognises and rewards your contributions. We operate out of serviced offices in Central Reading (less than a 5 minute walk from the station) and are growing fast, doubling our headcount in the last 3 months with more to come. We are passionate, respectful, creative, bold and have high integrity. We are Isotropic!
Isotropic embraces diversity and inclusion! We celebrate it, we actively seek it out, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our product and our community. Isotropic is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Please note that Isotropic Systems Limited operates a strict PSL and to be fair to our suppliers we do not operate outside of this. We do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies and they will not constitute an introduction.