Business Case Analyst
The Transforming Forensics (TF) Programme is a partnership between the National Police Chiefs Council and KBR. Set up in 2017, the TF vision is to protect the public and enable justice through the most advanced and coordinated forensics. In January, the UK Government announced it will be investing £28.6m in TF to enable it to continue delivering a range of forensics products, services and capabilities that meet the changing needs of policing and the public, including work already underway and a new focus on digital forensics. The funding will help to drive advances in science and innovation, develop more efficient working practices, and offer transformational benefits to police forces and the wider forensics community.
KBR is supporting TF and has helped establish the Forensic Capability Network (FCN). The FCN aims to be the world’s most advanced and coordinated forensic network, and has already had a positive impact, working with forces directly on forensics accreditation, and managing critical engagement with suppliers and other stakeholders at the national level. The programme is building on this, to deliver a step-change in the use of forensics in protecting the public and ensuring justice is served.
The Business Case Analyst will be responsible for:
- Engage with the Police stakeholder community to understand individual forces needs and build consensus on the business case logic, particularly the strategic and financial cases
- Undertake modelling/analysis to create models that underpin the financial and economic case
- Shape the structure of the Business Case in line with Green Book guidelines
- Developing detailed and robust CSR responses at pace
Core Responsibilities and Duties
The post holder will be responsible for:
- Generates modelling analysis and creates support material to allow the project to make informed decisions and develop Business Cases, and in particular the Financial and Economic Cases
- Working with individual Forces (or groups of Forces) to establish baseline position, deltas and the ‘to be’ financial position; capturing benefits, risks, and key sensitivities.
- Operate collaboratively across the TF and FCN programmes
- Influence, inspire and effect change within the Forces in question and the way projects and programmes are delivered and governed
- Produce insightful analysis to inform change: focus on ‘value add’ areas
- Drive savings through proactively identifying opportunities for efficiencies and managing benefits
- Capture Sustainability and Social Value, and the measurement/reporting thereof
- Reporting with clarity and confidence through either written or verbal presentations
- Critically assess and make informed recommendations, identifying the main options and rationale
- Responsible for (establishing) and managing the options appraisal process
- Work with the wider team to maximise the effectiveness and efficiency of resources
- Assist in fully implementing, utilising and maintaining a Return on Investment view, including links to the Benefits Realisation process
- Drive the management of all reporting relating to Options. Prepare reports on outcomes from the Return on Investment and options appraisal outputs, ensuring that management reports routinely inform and support a wide range of strategic and operational investment decisions
- Supporting the development of other colleagues, through informal training and skills transfer sessions
- Communication skills – Be articulate and engaging. Demonstrate ability across different styles for example, passionate, empathetic, assertive, reflective etc.
- Building Relationships – Be able to engage with and maintain productive relationships with a wide range of people with differing skills and experience.
- Influencing – establishes communication channels, actively listens, clarifies, gives/seeks feedback, clear and concise, persuasive/negotiates with others.
- People Management – fosters team/individual performance, achieves results, sets targets and reviews against them, leads, motivates and empowers others, coaches and encourages.
- Organisational skills – plans well in advance, sets clear objectives, manages time/delegates, reviews progress against plan, ensures sufficient resources, encourages improvements.
Skills and Experience
The following skills and experiences are essential:
- Proven analytical and skeptical mindset with an ability to model solutions to complex problems. Experience of delivering the analysis for complex projects and programmes including:
- To inform decisions of key stakeholders, particularly driving value for money
- Ability to challenge and influence to ensure that requirements align to scope to deliver planned strategic programme outcomes
- Understanding of Business Analysis frameworks, value cycles, business processes and business requirements, and applying these appropriately
- Understanding of Green Book, and experience in business case development to justify investment and make the case for change
- Good knowledge of the MS Office Suite, strong practical knowledge of Excel
- Excel skills to scope, specify and build a model in line with Best Practice Modelling
- PowerPoint and Word skills to clearly make the case and communicate to stakeholders
- The gravitas to ‘hold their own’ when challenged on recommendations and direction of travel
- Proactive approach, a strong, pragmatic and determined individual. Highly self-motivated.
- Consultancy soft skills, to enable building of great relationships with clients, facilitate workshops, chair working groups, and influence outcomes
- The ability to work as part of a diverse and geographically dispersed team
- A wider understanding of non-financial benefits, specifically sustainability and social value
- Ability to have an innovative approach when there is a lack of data, and/or a lack of buy in from stakeholders
- Ability to work at pace and under pressure to deliver trusted analysis
The following skills and experiences are preferable:
- Analysing data and the ability to provide efficiency insights and bring data to life through different presentational outputs – eg business reporting in Tableau or PowerBI
- Experience of using collaborative software such as Skype, Confluence, Sococo etc.
- Understanding of the MODs (or similar organisation) CADMID cycle and gated approvals process
- Previous experience of working with Policing, National Security or Defence, and/or a regulatory driven environment
- Previous experience of delivering within a change management / transformation programme
- Knowledge of key financial indicators like RoI, IRR, NPV and how a P&L and Cashflow operate
Please note the role holder will either need to have, or be eligible to apply for, relevant clearances.
Scheduled Weekly Hours: