Portsmouth is a great waterfront city with a bright future. A key part of that future depends on providing loving, stable families for children in care.
Portsmouth City Council has an exciting opportunity for a talented marketing professional to play an important role in developing and delivering creative and engaging recruitment and retention campaigns for our fostering service.
Reporting to the marketing manager, you will be part of the centralised marketing and corporate communications team, building excellent working relationships across the fostering service to contribute to the development and delivery of their ambitious foster carer recruitment and retention activity.
You will deliver a range of marketing campaigns and activity, including developing campaign plans, producing collateral, and organising and running events. In light of the coronavirus pandemic, you will need to be creative and flexible, ready to use digital channels (including social media, email marketing and online events) to recruit foster carers.
You will play an important role in helping Portsmouth City Council deliver on its promise to support young people.
The marketing and communications team provides the council with a full marketing communications service, managing media relations, marketing, graphic design and internal communications, producing a range of publications and campaigns, maintaining the council's brand and corporate identity, and taking responsibility for the council's digital presence.
You will be based in the council's civic offices headquarters, in the heart of Portsmouth's city centre.
What is the role?
The marketing officer (fostering) will:
• research, develop and deliver clear, targeted marketing campaigns designed to recruit potential adopters and foster carers
• create and maintain clear marketing project plans
• deliver targeted digital marketing campaigns, using social media, influencer, paid search, web and email marketing
• ensure all marketing activity is effectively researched
• innovate and make marketing and communications recommendations to senior managers in the fostering service
• evaluate all marketing activity against SMART objectives
• research, develop and produce a wide range of tools, from creative campaigns and publications to engaging social media and digital communications
• play a hands-on role in direct engagement with our own staff and local communities, ensuring our audiences are effectively engaged using a range of methods, from online events and roadshows to social media
• develop and deliver communications with key stakeholders, including councillors, senior managers and fostering teams in other local authorities
• ensure effective media management for fostering and adoption, undertaking proactive media relations to meet clear strategic objectives
• contribute to the council’s corporate communications, including publications, web, and social media
Who is the person?
We are looking for an excellent all-round marketing professional with the right skills and experience, but also the drive and enthusiasm, to successfully deliver creative and engaging recruitment marketing campaigns for fostering and adoption.
You’ll need to have:
• a communications, marketing or PR degree and/or professional qualification
• substantial experience in a communications, marketing or PR role
• significant proven marketing experience, including demonstrable experience of social or recruitment marketing
• extensive digital marketing experience, including social media and online event management
• a good track record of contributing to the development of strategies and taking ownership of the delivery of successful targeted marketing and communications campaigns designed to engage a wide range of target audiences, delivering results to clear SMART objectives
• proven experience of working with internal partners to deliver project objectives
• proven experience working directly with local communities, using a range of tools to effectively engage with a range of audiences
• experience co-ordinating and delivering face-to-face engagements with a range of audiences, including giving confident presentations and running large scale events
• the confidence to liaise and negotiate with a range of stakeholders, inside and outside the council, and the ability to adapt your approach to your audience
• ability to produce a wide range of creative content and effective communications
• proven experience of effective media engagement
• knowledge and experience of market research
• excellent evaluation skills, so you can demonstrate your work delivers
• excellent time management skills, including the ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise a hefty workload
• enthusiasm, drive and determination to deliver results