Our client is an established building services design consultancy based in Kent.
They have a have a vast range of experience with large, medium and small residential developments including large individual high specification dwellings, mixed use developments, surestart centres, retail units, commercial office spaces including both CAT A and CAT B fit outs, care homes and NHS sites. They also have experience with the design of exclusive CIP airport lounges, on both air and passenger sides.
Due to a recent increase in workload, we are currently looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join their growing team.
To take the lead in the overall preparation and submission of detailed design and co-ordination of Building Services solutions, including Drainage, Water Services, Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, Gas, Utilities, Compressed Air and Plant Layouts.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
• Educated to degree or HND level
• Outgoing and personable
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience
• Concept design.
• Option evaluation.
• Prepare stage reports / outline designs.
• Brainstorm design solutions.
• Detail design.
• Maintain comprehensive design file.
• Produce scheme design calculations and drawings for CAD in respect of the following services:
o Wet/dry risers
o Water Services
o Gas Services
o Heating Services including district heating and energy centres
o Flat / house layouts
o Plantroom design
• Produce design sketches in relation to the above services.
• Produce design sketches.
• Invite suppliers’ expert knowledge and costs.
• Adopt flexible attitude to project and design.
• Client management.
• Taking the lead on all communications with Clients.
• Advising on fees and preparing fee proposals.
• Interpreting project requirements.
• Promote ‘can do’ attitude.
Design Team Management
• Communicating with design team members.
• Prepare written reports for DTMs.
• Attend design team/client meetings, take minutes and ensure WSD required actions are followed up.
• Convene technical domestic meetings with team.
• Provide assistance to team.
• Fully familiarise with ACE B2 document and BSRIA BG6.
• Prepare project plan at outset.
• Prepare project programme for design/pre-construction
• Allocate resources for project.
• Produce design stage reports as appropriate.
• Produce cost plans and pre-tender estimates.
• Produce cost comparisons for systems/plant.
• Understand project costs and M&E ratios.
• Demonstrate our interest in financial matters.
• Evaluate/Report on Tender Returns
Sub-Contractor and Site Management
• Fully brief Sub-Contractors.
• Adopt non-adversarial management approach, firm and fair.
• Monitor and report progress.
• Raise instructions.
• Assist problem solving process.
• Respond to RFIs, queries quickly.
• Control project finance and variation costs with PQS.
• Confirm all site matters.
• Respond to any changes quickly
Human Resource Management
• Allocate and monitor project tasks and time.
• Engender ‘can do’ attitude with personnel.
• Encourage, listen and motivate staff.
• Produce weekly / daily work plans.
• Produce four-weekly resource forecasts.
• Develop trainee programme.
Practice Management & Finance
• Produce monthly project report.
• Assist with fee bidding and proposals.
• Monitor project man hour expenditure and report
For more information regarding the above role, please contact Stephen Tiigah – (Email Removed)(url removed)